19 Squadron RAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F-16 Aircrew Training Program

4 posters

Go down

F-16 Aircrew Training Program Empty F-16 Aircrew Training Program

Post  Skip19 Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:12 am

Where to start?

First thing to do is read the Dash 1. this should be in your Falcon/BMS/Docs folder and covers operating the F16 in BMS, flying the Jet and operating the radar/avionics. If it's new to you it will all be a lot to take in, but reading the relevant sections whilst working through the Training TE's (Tactical Engagements) should get you up and running (or flying) in no time.

At some point in the future there will be an Aircrew Evaluation TE which pilots will be able to download and run offline to test themselves against several likely threats or scenarios, and this may form the basis of a requirement before flying a full MP mission on a campaign server.

To meet the minimum requirements for a MP flight a pilot should be able to ramp start, take off/land safely, operate AA radar in RWS mode, basics of BVR and WVR (including AIM-120/Aim-9 operation) release LDGP (dumb) weapons in CCIP modes and basic airmanship such as Navigation, flying as a #2, observation and standard comms procedures and any other SOP's.

Advanced requirements would include scramble ramp starts, Air to Air refuelling, night operations, Mavericks, Harms and LGB's (laser guided bombs), Dive Toss bombing, TWS AA radar, A-A datalink, TACAN operation, ILS landing, in flight emergency recovery procedures, advanced Aim-120 operation, HMCS with Aim-9X, TFR etc etc.

TE's to cover all of these operations are available as 'Tactical Engagements' in game, and should be practiced when possible.

Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

F-16 Aircrew Training Program Empty Re: F-16 Aircrew Training Program

Post  speedy77 Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 pm

I'd thought I just post an update of my current progress:

I have done the Falcon dance and have the game up and running.
Printed off the hefty Dash manual.
Sat through some you-tube vids of setting up controls, and data cartridge.
Sat through a part 1 of a tutorial of a ramp start.

I've yet to sit in the cockpit and put this into practice, which is the next step.

Time is however limited, and not wanting to neglect WWII online, it will be a while before I can kept fully up to speed. But I'm working on it. Very Happy
speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Ah thats good to hear speedy, glad to have you on board! Very Happy

Just to reiterate the squadron stance on this, the opportunity to fly online with Falcon 4.0 BMS allows us to grow as a squadron, gives us an extra string to our bow and hopefully recruit more members, but this won't affect our standard WWIIOL squad nights.

However, I can appreciate that flying in Falcon is a lot more involved than flying in Rise of Flight, as there are a lot more bells and whistles and things to learn, which is why it's important to make sure we have a good plan of training for those that wish to get involved, even those that just want to try it out and see if they like it or not!

I'm hoping to have a training flight with Simon tomorrow night (wednesday) if he reads his PMs, if you or MJ have an hour free tomorrow night it might be an opportunity to get online and test all the MP ports etc, and talk you through the training mission or answer any questions you might have.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ramp start, as it probably makes more sense when you know what all the buttons actually do (and there is a much quicker and simpler ramp start anyway), I'd go with learning Nav modes, AA/AG modes and making sure you can land!

Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 am

Doubt I'll be able to do tommorow as I go home on wednesday so will be on a train until 8pm, plus I don't have Falcon 4 installed on my home PC (I have BMS 4.32 on my Uni PC, though that doesn't help much seeing as I'm on holiday for 2 weeks after tommorow. Razz )

Does Falcon 4 have any in game chat system for when I don't have a mic?
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:11 am

Not sure MJ. I've got a feeling you can still use the comms buttons to talk to your wingmates, but restricted by the commands available.

Another thing I should really reiterate is that a single mission in Falcon might last an hour, but you would really need a half hour briefing before hand as it's a lot less 'seat of your pants' and a lot more like 'driving the office to work'. You can't really just roll up and take off like you can in RoF/WWIIOL, well unless you are on a scramble/intercept I suppose.
Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  Eagle-Eye Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 am

Skip19 wrote:Not sure MJ. I've got a feeling you can still use the comms buttons to talk to your wingmates, but restricted by the commands available.

Another thing I should really reiterate is that a single mission in Falcon might last an hour, but you would really need a half hour briefing before hand as it's a lot less 'seat of your pants' and a lot more like 'driving the office to work'. You can't really just roll up and take off like you can in RoF/WWIIOL, well unless you are on a scramble/intercept I suppose.
Never had to use it myself, so can't comment on the Chat-function either, but about the mission always needing a 30-minute briefing: not necessarily so. Wink

For example, a Deep Strike-mission...

F-16 Aircrew Training Program Long%20Haul

While watching this 2D-screen, what could be discussed:
1. Flight callsign and role, package callsigns and roles, available frequencies/TACAN channels, load-out
2. Start-Up, take-off and re-join parameters
3. Threat assessments (SAM, AAA, A2A squadrons)
4. Individual sorting assignment on target site
5. Tanker and AWACS availability
6. Fuel criteria and alternate airfield(s)

All this can be done in (less than) 15 minutes, after which you'll enter 3D.

Then, once you're airborne and everyone's rejoined in the formation, you have until (approximately) the middle of STPT3 - 4 to discuss how you will react to threats (Air-To-Air and Surface-To-Air), how you will conduct the Strike, what formations and speeds to fly at, how RTB will be, if you will actually need the tanker made available, ...

Modern Air Combat is more complex in terms of avionics and because most engagements will/should stay BVR, but pretty much everything of the standard briefing (except item 5, and parts of 1) should also be valid for WWII sorties.
As F16's have a lot more fuel than WWII-fighters, the flights are longer, and putting at least some parts of the briefing in the flight will keep you busy. Razz
Eagle-Eye
Eagle-Eye

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:19 am

thanks for that advice Eagle, (I've edited your post, should show the image now Very Happy)

Yes, I take your point that some of the briefing can be done in flight, as you say it depends how far you are from the FLOT and how long you've got before you can reasonably expect a threat to appear. Very Happy

Again I suppose before we are all up to speed, I might expect a few questions to arise that might need some referencing/looking up and maybe going over things a few times before we start engaging.

Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  Eagle-Eye Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:26 am

Well, I have a bad habit of often checking forums I'm registered on, so if you have questions about BMS, I'll probably be around soon.Razz (though I can't give away all our squadron tactics obviously Wink )
Eagle-Eye
Eagle-Eye

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:43 am

lol no worries, it will be good to have some feedback as we go through the training program (and as I write the training program a few steps ahead of it Laughing)
Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down