19 Squadron RAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next model project (Spitfire)

Go down

Next model project (Spitfire) Empty Next model project (Spitfire)

Post  MJDixon Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:18 am

As much as I love the Spitfire Mk.I, I must admit that the Spitfire Mk.IIb is just better - the best Aircraft in the game, if I do say so myself! (For the tier it's in anyway.)

As such my next modelling project will be a Tamiya 1:48 Spitfire Mk.IIb, the only problem is there is no such thing as a Tamiya 1:48 Spitfire Mk.IIb, so I'll be getting these:

Tamiya 1:48 Spitfire Mk.Vb

Next model project (Spitfire) TM61033

Eduard 1:48 Spitfire Mk.Vb Photo-Etch set, which includes:

Photo-Etch Cockpit and other Detail set

Next model project (Spitfire) Detailed_image_525

Spitfire Mk.I/V Paint Mask (no more masking tape canopy. Razz )

Next model project (Spitfire) Detailed_image_795

Photo-Etch Spitfire Mk.Vb Flaps

Next model project (Spitfire) Detailed_image_524

Ultracast 1:48 Spitfire Mk.II Rotol 3-Blade Prop and Blunt Spinner (plus Coffman Starter)

Next model project (Spitfire) UC48113

3D-Kits 1:48 Rotol Spitfires Mk.I and Mk.II Decal Sheet (again. Razz )

Next model project (Spitfire) 48-D001-640x480

I'm reliably informed that a Spitfire Mk.IIb is basicly a Spitfire Mk.Vb with a Rotol prop and flat engine exhausts (I'll try to file the standard ones down, or get some resin Spit I exhausts if that doesn't work.)

There's also a Spitfire Mk.I control surfaces kit (as the IIb has fabric covered ailerons) but I want to have a look at the normal kit before I think about getting them (also not sure I can trust myself to go cutting bits off the kit. Laughing

Was also thinking about getting a detailed resin cockpit set, but seems a bit pointless when I've got a photo-etch cockpit set in the pack for the standard cockpit.

Going to be modelling it with the Canopy and Cockpit door open, so will actually be able to see the Cockpit in this one!

And yes, if the Spit V kit comes with Pilot seat rear armour I'll be cutting it, sanding it and otherwise destroying it with fire! Laughing
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Next model project (Spitfire) Empty Re: Next model project (Spitfire)

Post  MJDixon Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:56 pm

The kit and the extras arrived a few days ago, and I've been working on the cockpit since then, which is now near enough finished:

A few comparison shots first to compare the standard cockpit parts with the parts in the photo-etch pack:

On the left is the Pilot's chair made completely out of photo-etch parts, on the right is the standard plastic part from the kit:

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit1

The ironic part is that after about mid 1940, the chairs in Spitfires were made from a plastic mix - so I'm making a metal aeroplane out of plastic, with its plastic chair made out of metal!

Next is bits of the rear cockpit frame being replaced by photo-etch:

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit2k

Don't mind the manky bit on the left - that's where I tried to open up the three holes in the frame that were filled in, which ended in tears! Thankfully you can't see it in the finished product as the armour plate is in the way, plus it's on the opposite side of the cockpit from where the open door is anyway.

Next up is another comparison with the chairs, this time with the finished photo-etch one and all the trimmings - I decided to paint the backing of the chair black to liven it up a bit, most of them were painted all brown, but some had black or green covers instead:

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit3

The photo-etch harness make my Bossie seat belts look crap it must be said. Laughing

Next up is the instrument panel (minus gunsight):

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit4

I have to confess that the dials were pre-painted photo-etch, also - although the picture is a bit blurry, I can confirm that the bottom tank is out of fuel - the heading is about 110 and it's probably about 10 past 5 (first light?) Razz

Next is the rear cockpit frame, with the Pilot seat armour in place (note, however - the lack of any head rest armour plate!)

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit5

Easy to weather photo-etch, you just scratch the thing until the metal shows up. Laughing

Next up are some pictures of the finished cockpit, but the image quality is a bit poor I'm afraid.

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit6

I tried to put the undercarriage lever in the down position, but it ended up more up than down, which may result in some issues! Also the stick is all the way forwards, so I might cut the elevators off and stick them on in the down position (I think they should naturally be down if you don't use a control lock anyway - not that I'm being nerdy about it or anything... Wink )

T'other side of the cockpit (minus the door):

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit7

Finished seat:

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit8

In the real thing the harness went out of the back of the chair and connected to some wires leading to the rear fuselage I think, but I had nothing to connect to in this, so just glued the end to the back of the armour plate.

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit9

The radiator control lever on the left of the seat is a home made addition, as the kit didn't have one for some reason.

And last but by no means least - a picture of the instrument panel and the photo-etch gunsight:

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit10

The bits that are photo-etch are:

The seat, harness, seat armour plate, seat frame, instrument panel, compass, instrument panel wires, top of the gunsight, undercarriage lever, undercarriage wires, harness release?, map case?, trim wheel, face of the electrical panel?, camera indicator, WEP switch?, radio channel selector box, bottom and top of the air canisters and the radio mounting rack?

There were some other bits that I left out as well, there were some replacement rudder pedals and a bar that goes at the back of the rear frame - plus an instrument panel fuel switch - but those were just way too fiddly!

Also a replacement for the stick trigger and brake lever, but I preferred the kit version - and of course the head rest armour plate. Smile

And having done my first bit of photo-etching, I can confirm that it's bloody hard work!

Might go and relax with a nice bit of easy brain surgery.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:56 am

Now for the most abused pair of Spitfire wings you've seen since the Skipper last decided to play chicken with a tree! Razz

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit11

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit12

The changes from the standard kit are:

Removed/sanded the two wing strengtheners above the wheel well
Removed the metal ailerons and replaced them with resin Spit I canvas covered ailerons
Replaced the standard 20mm cannons with brass 20mm cannons (one of the original ones snapped off and has been wonky ever since, so decided to get some new ones!)
Removed the flaps from the lower half of the wing and glued on the top of the photo-etch flap set.

The bottom of the wings look even more abused but thankfully they're on the bottom, so you won't really see them much on the finished kit:

Next model project (Spitfire) Spit13

I'm hoping that the paint will hide a lot of the mankyness like the sanding on the wing strengtheners and the scratches here and there - although I still need more filler or some such where the cannons connect to the wings (could maybe try putting some glue in the gaps and hope it dries in the gaps?)

also the little flap/door at the back of the top side of the wing (the little rectangle with a triangle top - about 2/3rds of the way to the wing root) is meant to be open when the flaps are deployed to give the Pilot a visual sign that the flaps are down - but cutting those doors out is a bit too fiddly - so I think I'll paint them 'cockpit green' or black, then glue the photo etch open versions on top, so that it looks like it's open even when it's just the open door glued onto the closed one Razz
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:32 am

A few pictures of the current progress, as I've glued the main parts together and painted the (black) primer on:

Next model project (Spitfire) Spitpainted4

Looks better now that all the bits are the same colour at least! You might notice a little chip on the back canopy frame where I was a bit extreme removing an excess bit of plastic, but then again it is a warplane, FlaK damage, obviously. Razz

Next model project (Spitfire) Spitpainted1

I've put masking tape where the door should be, to try to stop any paint getting into the cockpit - also put some masking tape on the inside of the canopy, as it's not an paint-tight seal between the main canopy and the back part.

Front and back pieces of the canopy are glued on with super glue, the main canopy piece is glued on with PVA glue - so hopefully I'll be able to remove it easily enough when it's finished (as the main canopy is meant to be at the back, as the cockpit is open.)

The little mark just behind of the access panel behind the Cockpit is for gluing the radio wires that lead from the fuselage to the end of the elevators.

In case you were wondering, I went for the armoured front glass with the old style cut out oval section (or what ever it is) on the main canopy - the same as the one in my Signature.) With the rectangle mirror.

Next model project (Spitfire) Spitpainted2

The wing section didn't quite fit onto the fuselage perfectly, hence why the fuselage is raised slightly at the wing root - I think that's probably because of all the messing around I've done with the wings and flaps and all that. Also you can see the Coffman Starter bulge just under where the exhaust goes.

Next model project (Spitfire) Spitpainted3

Elevators in the down position, thankfully they seem to match up - would look a bit naff if one side was more down than the other side. Laughing

Priming has gone better than it did on my Bossie, as on that it created a film which started to flake off in areas, revealing the clean model underneath - also I didn't paint it as thick, so the panel lines and the like are in better condition.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down