19 Squadron RAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cliffs of Dover

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Cliffs of Dover Empty Cliffs of Dover

Post  MJDixon Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:24 am

3 years after being released it turns out IL2 Cliffs of Dover is actually turning into quite a good sim, thanks to a load of modders called Team Fusion who took over when 1C decided to give up on it, and actually made it playable and made the features actually work.  Razz 

Still no cannon armed Spitfires unfortunately, seemingly they come along in mod version 5, it's at 4.3 atm so hopefully soon(tm)  Laughing 

I've also pre-ordered IL2 Battle of Stalingrad, which is actually being made by the same people that make Rise of Flight, so hopefully it's more like that than Cliffs of Dover was on release, I'll let you know what it's like once they let me play it (alpha is only on a few days a week it seems.)

Until then here's some newsreel footage.  Razz 

MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Cliffs of Dover Empty Re: Cliffs of Dover

Post  hinkel1 Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:28 pm

It have been ages since I played clod. It was indeed a disappointment when it came out. Never tried the fusion mod but heard good things about it.
Is the MP still active or is it hard to find a populated server? SP campaign was also not super and I am missing a career mode.

I have been following the news blogs from BOS and they postponed the early access for about one week if I am correct. I did not preorder but might buy someday.

I would say lets try and do a squadnight in CLOD for fun but you know it is hard to plan my gametime in advance. Playing MP is hard for me as I sometimes will have to go afk. This is not fun when you are in the middle of a flight so usually play a single player game I can pause.

I came briefly online sunday. started ts and ww2ol just to close it again after 15min being afk.
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:06 am

I haven't tried MP yet, but the mod is supposed to have an active multiplayer community.

A squad night would be good, though it's very complicated with full engine management and such, so might need to practice SP a bit first.

There is good news for you family men though, one of the features of the mod lets you import a picture to put in the cockpit of your kite, so maybe if you show them you have a photo of them in your Spitfire they'll let you play longer.  Razz 

Though remember that war film rules mean if you have a picture of your loved one in the cockpit you'll get shot down - unless it's Memphis Belle!

Battle of Stalingrad is in early access now, but only available between Friday and Monday.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:51 am

I doubt my daughter will stop crying when I have a picture of her in front of me Smile

guess I will download again one of these days and install the mod
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:20 am

After the first test of Battle of Stalingrad on my crappy home PC it seems pretty much like Rise of Flight, but on the Russian Front in WW2, with more engine management to manage, more accurate ack ack and parachutes for when you set on fire or your wing falls off.  Razz

Cliffs of Dover 109surrender_zps0a7d2010

He's either trying to bail out, or surrender, or both.  Laughing 
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 pm

nice screenshot Smile

I downloaded again clod on my pc and installed fusion mod on it. No time to set up and to test yet.
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:57 am

Just had my first Multiplayer sortie of Cliffs of Dover on the ATAG Server (The mod people), flying a Spitfire Mk Ia (100 octane) from Le Havre to patrol up around Abbeville.

quite a long sortie, calibrated my gunsight, calibrated my direction indicator a few times (it drifts you see), forgot to calibrate my altimeter and left my map in the dispersal hut. (rookie mistakes!)

Climbed up to 20,000 feet (ish  Wink ) and thought I'd broken my radiator as there was a white stream coming out of the back, but it was probably just contrails seeing as they went away after I descended, I thought 20k (ish) was a bit low for that but seemingly not, and my temperatures were all ok.

Flew around for a bit, got vaguely shot at by some very incompetent FlaK gunners, spotted an aircraft below me but lost it in cloud, spotted another one later on that turned out to be a 109, but the second I got near him he broke in to cloud and I lost him - a little bit later I spotted another 109, but he was a bit higher than me, I tried to climb up to him and managed to squirt a short burst at maximum range before my engine exploded, think I saw a white stream come from him as a result, after which he dove to the deck over a city and I lost him in the shrubbery - I then spotted another 109 above me and tried to climb up to him, but the first one was on my six so I had to turn and face him - after which I decided to run away as the second one was coming to assist - I thought I'd lost them, but a load of cannon tracers came streaming past my cockpit, so I hit the deck and ran away home again.  Razz

I did record it as an ingame track, but it didn't work properly for some reason.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:06 am

Why waste perfectly good Cockpit space on silly things like photographs? There is a war on y'know!  Wink 

Cliffs of Dover SpitNote_zpscc57dd58
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:22 am

There were 96 players on the ATAG TF Mod Server tonight when I logged on, so it seems the Multiplayer community is pretty active.

Managed to bag my first kill!  Smile 

MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:26 pm

even 99 when I logged in
then 98 when Michael Dixon logged out Smile

spend 30 minutes trying to lift and crashed several planes. only to find that somehow I removed to pitch settings  Embarassed 

then lifted was less of a problem. flying however ... I could not manage to get more speed then 160 - 170 mph. No idea what I am doing wrong. Tried to adjust prop pitch and mixture did not help.
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:53 pm

I have all the HUD etc turned off so didn't see you online if you were on at the same time as me, so sorry if you said hello.  Razz 

usually I keep mixture at rich (all the way forward) and prop pitch at full fine (all the way forward) for combat speed, or slightly lower to put the RPM between 2700 - 3000rpm (see my notes), with lean mixture (all the way back) only for if I'm below +1 boost and below 2600rpm, or it will break the engine.

Did you make sure to warm up your engine properlly before take off? This video might help:

And usually I fly a Spitfire Mk Ia with 100 octane fuel (that's what my notes are set for.)

Or read this if you want to be old fashioned  Wink :

Spitfire Mk. II Pilot's Manual
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 pm

yes I warmed up properly. in the air my oil temp was around 80 and water around 70

could not say hello as I did not mapped my keys for comms yet. When I am able to fly properly and see you ingame I can allways send a message on steam
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:22 pm

ok I found the way to take off with the hurricane without destroying the engine within 2 minutes and find the balance for prop pitch.
Then while adjusting the radiator input I got shot down.

2nd try I took a remote airfield. shortly after I see a stuka a little higher then me. attacked it damaged it stalled and crashed moments later Smile

certainly this is not like ww2 online which is far more forgiving
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:17 am

Well, there's a two seater Tiger Moth, so if all else fails we could have a training flight.  Smile 
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 am

tried to fly it. it is very noisy Smile

I guess I will be combat ready soon Smile
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 am

next thing is to find out how the compass works but I find it very hard to navigate with it
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:25 am

At least you get to experience what it was like for quickly trained Pilots with 10 hours experience being shoved into the Battle of Britain.

Spring Chicken to Shitehawk in one easy lesson. Wink 
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:45 am

With the big P8 compass below the instrument panel there are 4 needles coming from the centre, one which has a horizontal bar across it.

You rotate the compass bearing around the exterior until North is in line with where the needle with the horizontal bar is pointing (when the 2 white lines you can rotate are parallel with the length of the needle.)

Then once its lined up, the heading that is in front of you is your current heading.

You can then adjust the directional gyro heading indicator on the instrument panel so that it matches the heading you read from the compass, then use that to navigate.

However the directional gyro will drift and become inaccurate after a while (because of gyroscopes and the rotation of the earth and all that guff) so you have to re-calibrate it every 10 - 15 mins using the main compass, as well as after combat, as all that manoeuvering throws it out of whack.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:43 am

how would have pilot have time left to scan the horizon with all that calibrating ? Rolling Eyes 
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:49 am

It's probably quicker to do in real life, plus on the real compass I think you can lock the bearing ring so north is always in line with the pin.  Smile

The proper way to navigate is shown in this video, by pointing the compass ring to your desired course:

MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:51 pm

And just to be extra confusing there's magnetic variation, which, according to this RAF chart is 11 degrees west in the Channel, which means for example that if you plot a course on your map that says 320 degrees, you'd have to set your compass to 331 degrees, at least until 1941, after which it's only 10 degrees - apart from off Dover and east of London, where it's 10 degrees west in 1940, and will still be 10 degees in 1941, but 9 degrees in 1942 off Dover!

So lets just say 10 degrees.  Wink 

Cliffs of Dover Earth_Magnetic_Field_Declination_from_1590_to_1990

It's no wonder aeroplanes get lost all the time.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:35 am

Interesting... Very Happy 

I've picked this up off amazon and I'm having a play with setting it up for my triumphal return to flight simming.  Upgraded to 4.30 and going through the training missions, trying to get all my keys mapped etc.  I like the sound of 90+ on the server, no GPS, full engine management etc.

Has Speedy got on board with this as well?

Last edited by Skip19 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:31 am

Good show, Skip!

Last I heard Speedy was thinking about getting it, but hasn't used that new fangled Steam before.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:37 am

They even have a TS plugin to make everyone sound historically grainy and unintelligible.  Razz 

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:36 am

MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content