19 Squadron RAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday RoF?

4 posters

Go down

Sunday RoF? Empty Sunday RoF?

Post  MJDixon Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:52 pm

The WW2OL Campaign seems to be coming to an end, so was wondering if anyone fancied doing some Rise of Flight tommorow evening?

Usually on Sunday the Syndicate Server do a realism mission, which is pretty busy and pretty fun (or it was last time I tried it) as long as it's not French or American or some such. Razz
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Sunday RoF? Empty Re: Sunday RoF?

Post  hinkel1 Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:46 am

i am up for it
and monday is a holliday :p

finaly we can take a belgian n17 :p
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:50 am

just seen this, going to fire up ROF now...
speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:43 am

might get on about 9.30 chaps.

save me an Se5!
Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:04 am

Speaking of French and American crap.... Razz

SE5! Chance would be a fine thing! Laughing

Was hoping we could ride in our pimped up west coast (shut up, Cumbria is on the west coast! Razz ) gangsta' custom paint jobs with our spinner rims (well, the wheels spin!) and such, but alas!
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm up for another go tonight if anyone's free. Smile
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 pm

what was on syndicate then?
Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 pm

don t know yet if i can
the misses will prolly need some attention today Smile
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:33 am

Syndicate was on sunday realism mission, which means you have to use the skins of the correct squadron etc, which restricted us to a (French!) SPAD VII, or a (French!) Nieuport 17.

After having a go in each with Speedy and Hinkel, Hinkel and I then moved on to the New Wings Battleground, which was also naff and based around Verdun, though there was a grand total of 1 Sopwith Camel, which Hinkel managed to nab (But forgot to use the 19 Squadron Sopwith Camel skin wot I did make!), leaving me to fly either a Nieuport 17, SPAD VII, (American!) Nieuport 28 or the new (British!) Nieuport 17, which is of course far superior to the (French!) Nieuport 17.

After having a go in the (British) Nieuport 17 (which ironically doesn't have the 19 Squadron skin wot I made, despite structurally being the same aircraft) and coming across a Fokker Dr.1 Triplane I quickly decided that the film 'Flyboys' is absolute guff and in no way can a Nieuport 17 out daka-daka-daka a Fokker Dr. 1, so after wandering home wounded and landing upside down we then decided to have a go with the (American!) Nieuport 28s, only to discover that they sound like lawnmowers and can't turn what so ever, but are reasonably good at running away. Razz
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:02 am

Got to fly our customised SE5s at last, and very snazzy they are too! Razz

Incase anyone was wondering about wind direction at landing and such, you should ideally take off and land into the wind (granted we usually take off from the spawned in position, but I think they might spawn in the into the wind position), as if the extra wind is flowing over your wings from front to back (as it is when you're into the wind) then the wing generates more lift at a lower flight speed than it would (as part of the lift equation is based on the airspeed over the wings, lift being 1/2 ρ v^2 s CL, obviously, with v being the speed of the air moving over the wings) which means that you can take off and land at a slower ground speed, which is good!

Incidentally, we should have gone from 19RFC to 19RAF today. Very Happy
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:26 am

I'm familiar with landing into the wind MJ Razz

Not quite so familiar with the compass in the SE5 though, and surprised to see the wind sock pointing away from me when I landed.
Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:27 am

Just checking. Razz
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:45 pm

only a guess but skip crashlanded?
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 pm

not quite.

we had a little tussle with some hun over the front line, I was struggling to keep the Se5 level. After MJ dispatched the Bosche swine, we flew back west to regain alt, and I was trying to map my trim.

I inadvertantly unplugged my joystick as I was holding it forward, plugged it back in again and it was all I could do to stop the bloody thing trying to do a loop, so I told MJ I was RTB and he pointed out a friendly AF to the south.

I could only fly with my revs on about 1000 and the stick fully forward, and MJ pointed out the wind was going to the east.

I did a quick mental check and flew to the right of the airfield, the 'west' side, to land into the wind.

I landed west to east, and as I touched down MJ landed the opposite direction to me, and I noticed the windsock pointing away from me.

I asked on chat which way the wind was blowing, and everyone piped up to say 'towards the east'.

I should have landed on the left side (the east side) into the wind coming from the west.

Schoolboy error, no one pranged their kite so no harm done. Of course, when referring to winds it is more common to say where the wind is coming from, so it was a 'westerly' wind I was landing into (or away from in this case!), but I should have realised and landed the proper way regardless. Very Happy

Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum