27 Nov 2011 Legwork..and my 1st clean air-to-air kill

View previous topic View next topic Go down

27 Nov 2011 Legwork..and my 1st clean air-to-air kill

Post  Acroyer on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Not much activity this morning, about 2 LW and 6 RAF/FAF shuffling around at Albert. Decided to remove some firebases from the enemy. I really needed the practice - they have changed since I last played. Some of the larger bases have supply tents which must also be knocked out. It took me a while to figure this out, but eventually I did (after placing charges on *everything* including bunkers, trees, trailers, barrels, flags, boxes and the ground).

Knocked out five firebases solo, starting at the south end of the front near our airfield and working up past Amiens and Sautry. On the 6th, I started getting repetitive 'lost connection to host (20033)' type errors and crashing. Wife arrived with french toast, sausage and coffee, so I decided to take a break and eat breakfast.

Note: Had the displeasure of listening to a foul mouthed guy named netfytr rant & rave about how much the Allies suck, for over an hour, on the Side channel. Apparently, he was angry because he decided we should destroy the Diks fb up north, and when nobody came to do it, we were all homosexual expletive-deleted losers (etc, ad nauseum). The fact that there might have been 15 allied players online (most of which were defending Albert) apparently was no excuse. He spent a lot of time extolling the virtues of Axis teamwork, and spamming warnings that the enemy was going to precamp one of our fbs....but apparently thats all he did - sit, watch, warn, and whine. The HC guy who was on (danr) was very polite and patient, but netfytr was too worked up to notice. He and I exchanged a couple of words at the end before he told us all he was going back to Axis, and he'd be waiting for us at the Ramsgate depot (etc). Shortly thereafter, someone spawned into my mission at Sautry, then despawned a few secs later. I didn't see who it was (I only saw the message about another player has spawned from your fru), but I assume it was him. I say that because about 5 mins later, as I was placing the last charges on the veh spawn, a 232 spawned in it. I was already hustling back to cover and the charges blew, taking out the fb and leaving the 232 parked in a field. I hope it was him, and I hope he had apoplexy over it. pirat

As of 1100 GMT there were reports of 2 190s over Albert, very high, but no other ea reported. study

Acroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 27 Nov 2011 Legwork..and my 1st clean air-to-air kill

Post  Acroyer on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:05 am

Logged back in this evening, saw MJ and Hinkle flying together. I was trying different (lower) resolutions as a possible means of increasing my FPS. At 1024x768, my FPS settled at around 55 FPS, which is a huge improvement over the 16 I was getting previously.

Finally settled on that as my working resolution, lifted in a Spit 2b and joined MJ over the current hotspot on the map. After flying around a bit we were engaged by 4 enemy planes. I stayed alive for quite a long time, though I took an engine hit early in the fight. At one point I ended up where I could clear MJ's six of a 109 that was chasing him. I hit the 109 cleanly with my third burst and he went down in flames. I was so excited that I stopped evading to type 'got him' and almost got shot down for my trouble. Another ally joined the fight, and while he and MJ scuffled with the LW, I tried to sneak off for a beer. drunken

Actually, I was typing in the chat window while trying to disengage to the NW (as MJ suggested...how he TYPES while he's FIGHTING, I do not know!). Anyway, I suffered death by chat, by flying into a hill. Embarassed I was still very happy, and I might have RTB'd if I hadn't been trying to type AND fly at the same time! Laughing

That is the first kill I've gotten in 19 Squadron, that actually felt like I earned it. The others have been blind luck, or enemy error. Off to celebrate! cheers

P.S. It was a 109G6-U4, and I was in a Spit2b, convergence 200m and all guns linked to fire with same trigger pull. CRS is turned off for the mini-campaign, so I have no idea who I shot down (sigh). I took a screen shot of the AAR as a momento, though.
Acroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:22 pm

good job
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:43 pm

good work acroyer! Here's to many more.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:08 am

Just seen your report, good work Acroyer. Congratulations on the your first kill for 19 squadron. That call for a swift ale in the mess!
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top