oh dear...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

oh dear...

Post  speedy77 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:49 am

I was happily rtbing just now then bang...BSOD! Turned back on, fired up internet exploreer and another BSOD.

Seems ok now, but I had them a few weeks back too. That with a lot of CTHLs recently leads me to think my PC is on it's last legs...oh dear.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oh dear...

Post  MJDixon on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:41 am

Bad luck, Speedy. Crying or Very sad Hope it's alright - you tried virus scans and this that and everything else?

Interestingly, my PC always BSODs after a few mins when I first turn it on for the day - every single time, but after that it runs normally. Razz

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:37 pm

I've run full virus and spyware scans which were both clear.

I do know if you can note down certain parts of the error code on a BSOD, you can search for the that particular error. However, the code doesn't stay on the screen long enough for me to find a pen and paper. So from now on I'll keep my phone close to hand so I can take a photo of the screen! Very Happy
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:53 pm

If you mean the PC Restarts before you can note the error code, there's a control panel setting where you can make BSODs not restart until you press a key I think.

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:21 pm

Taa,

I didn't know that. I shall have a look this evening.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:11 pm

On my PC it's under Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> [] Automatically Restart

Granted there's probably an easier way of getting to it. Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zenior on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:26 am

MJDixon wrote:On my PC it's under Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> [] Automatically Restart

Granted there's probably an easier way of getting to it. Razz

That's the usual way to do it. However if you press F8 during restart (while in post) you will get it as an additional choice with the safe modes and last good selection. Only goes for the session (IIRC) but good if it loops the BSOD.

The top part of the BSOD message often mentions a driver (some sys file) which is a good indication of the causing hardware or driver.
BSOD is mostly caused by hardware or drivers. More rarely but not to forget is firmware. Corrupt system files will usually give other error messages (or black screen) but in some cases cause BSOD.
Zenior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dezey on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:41 am

I had almost finished my reply to your post when I got a BSOD (again) I very nearly laughed. Basically over time your system files and drivers can get corrupted. I think your PC ,like mine, just needs a rebuild. It might eve nrun or boot up faster because you'll have stripped out all the old stuff thats no longer used.
Dezey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for the tips chaps.

It was becoming worse last night. I managed to keep the BSOD on screen (thanks MJ Very Happy ) so I could note the error code, so will look into it today.

I do think you're right Dezey, it's about 4 years old now so it's very likely there is a lot of old stuff clogging the system. I just need to get backup some files, then I will look to either build a new PC completely or, just a clean install of windows.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:49 am

I haven't had a chance to reinstall windows yet, so I will be grounded for a while.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top