napoleon or rome?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

napoleon or rome?

Post  Skip19 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:40 am

ok, got some pennies (for my birthday!) to spend on a new pc game, I was thinking of one of the new Total War games...

napolean is £21, or I can get Silent Hunter 4 and Rome:TW for a tenner.

which one would you all recommend? I've played Shogun and Medieval ones, I've always been a fan of kicking the Frenchies arses but the Rome one looks pretty good too... but I was a big fan of Silent Hunter 2, although never played it much past the 3rd mission or so...

any suggestions?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: napoleon or rome?

Post  MJDixon on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:28 am

Personally I'd go for Napoleon: Total War, in my experience it's the best Total War to date and they haven't realy started modding it properly yet, granted Rome is an excellent game as well - but Napoleon is better. Razz

Also I feel that Silent Hunter 4 has two fundamental problems which are to do with the fact that it's US Fleet Boats as opposed to German U-Boats:

1, The Pacific is Huge, so expect to spend a lot of time looking at a map or searching squares with nothing in them.
2, The game gets easier as time goes on - due to the fact that obviously the Allies won the war.

If you're after a Silent Hunter game you might want to get Silent Hunter 5, which is brand new and is set in the German U-Boats (main new "feature" being that you play as the Captain and can walk through the ship etc, giving orders and the like.) although it only goes from 1939 - 43, plus some people say it's very buggy and unfinished, but I haven't run into either problem (probably because I use a lot of mods from SubSim.com)

Another thing with SH5 is it has DRM that means you have to be connected to the internet to play it, which obviously pissed a lot of people off - although in practical terms I haven't had a single problem with it, over quite a few hours of game play.

I have both Napoleon and SH5 anyway and think they're both great. Razz

But I'd have to put Napoleon on top if only because you get to play as Britain vs everyone else, as opposed to Germany vs Britain and everyone else in SH5 Wink

Happy Birthday btw. Very Happy

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dezey on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:23 pm

I get a bit frustrated with the Total War series because the little buggers never do what i want them to! Also once you find a formation that works you never lose, though maybe I need to turn up the difficulty. You might also find it wont play well till you have your new PC finished. I bought it (£16 from Amazon for the standard package) ran a tutorial and uninstalled it. I had to put it on Low setings and fps were still 20 ish and thats with relatively few troops on the map.
Dezey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top