New Website

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Website

Post  Skip19 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 pm

I have an idea for our 19squadron website, but to be honest web design isn't my strong point (I'm a proper developer dont ya know Razz) so I was wondering if any of you's had some skills in Flash/Silverlight...

here's the idea.

this is the ops room at RAF digby, this would be similar to the index page - as the user hovers over an item they see the hyperlink for that item - so a log book on the desk might go to pilot log, the map might link to the OKWViewer map, the list of pilots might take you to CS&R, a drawing of a spitfire might take you to the technical section etc etc.

I reckon this is best done in Flash, so any Flash Savvy guys out there that can help or point us in the right direction??

S!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Website

Post  speedy77 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Cracking idea. Some atmospheric sound effects would be nice ie. muffled office/radio chatter etc.

How you would do that, I don't know!...photoshop and CAD are my bag, not web design.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:20 am

I did abit in Dreamweaver and Fireworks last year in College, with making Picture highlight links and the like, and having it so the picture changes with mouse over etc, only problem is that since then the College got a newer version of Dreamweaver, and as far as I can tell it has nothing what so ever in common with the previous version. Razz

For my course I do have to do my own IT Project, however, and the usual thing to do is make a website, so I might be able to do something for this as my project.

Here are some pics of the WW2OL Air Combat website I made last year:

(There were streaming videos in this one, but they aren't in the pic because the videos aren't on my PC atm)

This last web page is actualy just one picture that was made in Fireworks and had highlighted links added to it, granted it's a pretty crude example, but the way it works is the same as what you want:

As for adding sounds, atm I don't know what the proper way to do that is (I imagine there is one.), but we managed to add sound to a website Squiffy and I made for SWG, which was by uploading the sound file to youtube, then making the video stream on our website and play automatically once the site was loaded, but had the youtube window itself hidden in the corner in a 1px x 1px box. Razz

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 pm

I had a fiddle with that example of yours and added some hotspot links to it to show what it'd be like (the blue bits are links) - it's not a proper attempt though, as I don't imagine that's the page you actualy want to use.

Could even use an in game screenshot of the new Control Tower if you want, would need abit of tweaking, mind:

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:18 am

yes yes, that's the kind of thing I mean - as you say not that exact picture, but that is the general idea.

I'm sure I've seen a similar thing in a game somewhere, where the officers mess is the sort of control page where you can change stuff - anyway worst case I'll knock one up in 3DSMax.

I'm looking at some funky ways of showing 3d in web (that aren't flash) but as with everything new stuff takes time to learn, thats why I shouted up here to see if there were any skillsets we already had and could use.

I'll go and have a look in that control tower, is that an ingame shot or have you taken that from somewhere else? looks a bit like AH Very Happy

But a bit of brainstorming never hurt anyone - any ideas you lot have, feel free to shout up!

Things to see on the page(and what they might be) - in no particular order

a Squadron Banner
In game time (got a good idea for that one, a clock in a 109 propellor on the wall)
The roster (chalk board?) link to current stats or our own (obtained from CS&R XML format)
The current game map (I'd like to see if there is a way to get AWS info out of wiretap...) again could be a link to BE map, OKW map or one of our own making)
Comms - (phone) maybe a link to a TS server, or info on our comms SOP's
Training Vids - (projector) either play in browser or link to external player (I've seen a website where you click on a projector and the page turns into a movie theater, with curtains etc!)
A link to latest BG Newsletter (a newspaper!)
heh, pre-1.31 my idea was to have a weather map of europe that said (Fair, light cloud at 12k, 16k and 20k feet) all the time.
Forum link (not sure on this one -any ideas? maybe a door that said 'Mess' or something)
I'd like to be able to add stuff to it, say we get a good fraps of a heinkel kill, maybe a piece of Heinkel on the wall that you could click on and would take you to that clip (again external or in-browser)
Technical Specs (A Spitfire Blueprint) would take you to all the technical stuff we have atm
a Join option - (Maybe a recruitment poster?) would be an email link.
a snooker table? (link to funkysnooker.com
Very Happy , where I go when bored at work!!)

hey any other thoughts shout up! things you would like to see, things you think are a rubbish idea.

S!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:26 am

That screenshot is what the inside of the control tower looks like in the 1.31 Beta (You can see a Spit I out the window Razz ), although I added the poster and the chalk board.

Could have a door leading to the outside, then have the next page be on the Airfield (in game probably) with all the different Aircraft lined up, so when you click on them it goes to the spec page.

A few games had rooms and the like as pre-mission areas and option menus, etc. Off the top of my head afew are:

B-17 2: Mighty Eighth
Silent Hunter 3
Silent Hunter 4

I imagine there are afew more, seem quite popular in sim games.

B17 2 Vid, Base at the start

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:38 am

I like that briefing room shot, very nice!

I'd love that, to have a briefing room on the website where we could show the map and draw on it, that sort of thing - the point is to make the website informative (for people interested in joining) but practical as well, so it gets used - when we fly squad nights it sits in the background running, then we can all go and log in and draw penis shapes on the map, that sort of thing!!

Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:44 am

dojo wrote: ..then we can all go and log in and draw penis shapes on the map, that sort of thing!!
Very Happy

....that is funny lol!

These are all great ideas. It seems using the in game control tower shot, would give more scope for tweaking it visually to suit our needs than a photograph.

I love the idea of trophy wreckage hanging on the wall which link to vids, as they can continually be changed as and when needed.

I think you are bang on with the mess door linking to the forums.

A squadron diary on a table could link to AAR reports.

A flashing red squadron scramble phone, for announcements linked to forums ie...I'm in game and need assistance, so I ctrl Alt del out post in the announcements section of the forums, that sets the phone flashing on the website. Anyone browsing the website then knows someone is already in game...Question

Book shelf or leather armchair with books that link to articles, In pursuit etc

Last edited by speedy77 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:08 am

speedy77 wrote:

These are all great ideas. It seems using the in game control tower shot, would give more scope for tweaking it visually to suit our needs than a photograph.

I love the idea of trophy wreckage hanging on the wall which link to vids, as they can continually be changed as and when needed.

I think you are bang on with the mess door linking to the forums.

A squadron diary on a table could link to AAR reports.

A flashing red squadron scramble phone, for announcements linked to forums ie...I'm in game and need assistance, so I ctrl Alt del out post in the announcements section of the forums, that sets the phone flashing on the website. Anyone browsing the website then knows someone is already in game...Question

Book shelf or leather armchair with books that link to articles, In pursuit etc

top ideas speedy!!

I like the armchair/books thing. not sure how I would get the info out of the forums, maybe an email or something... hmm.

I read somewhere that the 'penis on the map' problem is why CRS won't give us drawing tools on the map in game. lol. Rolling Eyes

There are a few 'web whiteboard' tools, unfortunately they are all unsuitable for our purposes. I like the idea of this map room, in fact it is growing on me more...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:17 am

Could also have some sort of Intelligence Room, with Black and white screenshots of Towns, Factories, Airfields and the like. (When I ever get around to taking some that is. Razz )

Something like this for the Map stuff?

JPainter

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Fri May 21, 2010 12:31 am

bump!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dezey on Fri May 21, 2010 9:14 am

Sounds like a nice idea Dojo and should look excellent, just dont forget the 3 legged cat !
Dezey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue May 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Been making a very basic version of the website today, just trying to work out the best way of moving between different "areas" of the virtual Airifield - I've tried doing it so that there's an aerial view of the Airfield, but the buildings are too far apart and it's abit vague as to what you're meant to do, so what I'm thinking at the moment is:

Three Primary Areas:

Control Tower

• Squadron Roster Board
  • AAR Diary
  • Stats Board
  • Recruitment Poster
  • Gazette Newspaper
  • Photo Diary (General Screenshots)
  • Projector (General Videos)
  • Book Shelf (for training material, etc)
  • Mission Board (Callender)
  • Doorway/sign to the Mess (Forum)
  • Maybe a Clock Razz

Command Bunker

• Map Room - plus Red Phone to Allied Forums
  • Intelligence Room (Recon Photos and Operation Plans)
  • Training Film Room (Training Videos)
  • Radio Room (Teamspeak Info)

Hangars

• Individual Hangars, each with its own Aircraft parked inside
  • Technical Details - maybe a book next to the Aircraft
  • Cockpit view (click on the aircraft)

I might change some of them around, such as having the book shelf and Training Videos in the same room, etc.

So now to the part about switching between areas.

The first page would be a picture outside - with the Control Tower taking up most of the image - click on the Control Tower to enter the Tower area, then click on the exit to go back "outside" again.

to go to the other areas, there would be signs at the corner of the screen (from the "ouside"page) going to the other areas, which then send you to a screen with you stood outside the Command Bunker, or some such.

So basicly if you were at the Command Bunker page, you'd have the Bunker infront of you - which you click on to enter, while on the left side of the screen would be a signpost saying "<- Control Tower", click on that to go there - while on the right would be a signpost saying "Hangars ->" etc.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu May 27, 2010 6:50 am

Just a few teasers as to what I've put together so far:

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Thu May 27, 2010 7:41 pm

Nice work MJ. Looks very good to me.

I know it's early days and you might even be planning this, but it would be cool to liven up the control tower shot with a few spits parked up or armchairs scattered around the grass etc....oh and bader the three legged squadron cat Razz
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Fri May 28, 2010 3:08 am

Here you go Speedy, I've Battle of Britain-ised it for you. Razz

Complete with badly photoshopped (well, GIMPed - but that just sounds wrong) three-legged Cat.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Fri May 28, 2010 6:38 pm

lol, excellent stuff MJ!

Just need that Polish pilot reading his '1000 words in english' book to make it complete Razz
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Fri May 28, 2010 8:03 pm

can we get someone to mow the grass? Looks a right mess Razz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Fri May 28, 2010 9:40 pm

There is a bloody War on you know! Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:21 pm

Another update as to what I've done so far, although these are quite rushed and are just examples, as I need to make it look good for next week, as I have to finish my College Project. Razz

Bunker Exterior:

Bookshelf with Training Books (Fighter Combat is just an example - incase you think I plan on adding all the pages one by one. Wink )

And of course everyone's favorite period WW2 RAF Gunnery Booklet!

Also planning on adding an online map/image editing tool, where everyone can look at and draw on the images in a room, which are automatically saved so other people can look at/edit them:

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top