The modern gaming industry realy realy needs a kick up the whatsit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The modern gaming industry realy realy needs a kick up the whatsit

Post  MJDixon on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Just thought I'd share my whining with you all. Razz

I've been looking forward to playing Napoleon: Total War for quite some time, it's meant to be released on Friday (26th)

On tuesday I saw that on Steam it said "Napoleon Total War! Released in 4 Hours" hmm, most interesting...

After reading about it for a bit I decided to order it there so I could play it on Tuesday, but then 5 minutes from the aparant release the PR bloke comes along and basicly says "Lol it was a mistake it's not out!" (the fact that he only realised this 5 minutes before the release is somewhat questionable).

Anyway, that was slightly disapointing and so instead I then decided to order the physical copy from Amazon, expecting it to arrive on the 26th.

On wednsday I then heard that there were people in the UK who were playing Napoleon Total War, because they had received their copies in the post early and were able to install and play it, I then got an Email from amazon saying that my order had been dispatched and would arrive on Thursday (25th)

Huzzah! My copy arrived in the post this morning, good show. Off I go to install it (as other people from the same country as me with the same game as me have done) and what does it come up with? "Computer says no, try again tommorow!"

Usualy I don't care about this stuff as the release is meant to be on the 26th, but the fact that other people are playing it right now, despite the fact that they have exactly the same copy of the game as me, coupled with the fact that I have to go to some university thing tommorow and so won't be able to start playing it until Sunday night (if it's activated at midnight on Friday) is ever so slightly annoying.

It wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that the internet is now full of people going "OMG Napoleon: Total War is amazing! You have to try it!"

Then add this to the fact that Silent Hunter V (The other game I've been looking forward to) has aparantly got some anti-piracy thing that means you have to be connected to the internet all the time while you play or else it'll tell you to bugger off, leads me to beleive that the gaming industry needs a kick up the arse. Razz

Back in my day you just bought a game, installed it and away you go!

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The modern gaming industry realy realy needs a kick up the whatsit

Post  Skip19 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 pm

I feel your pain.

then again, I haven't bought a new pc game since... god, Battelfield 2 was my last pc purchase (for Project Reality Mod if any of you have played it... excellent game, but the air bit is rubbish).

I really enjoyed M:TW, although I could never seem to get Longbowmen when I played the English. It was fun kicking all those French derriers though, when they all run away from a full on Knight Cavalry charge!!

I loved playing Silent Hunter II, that was a lot of fun although I never got very far in the campaign. I remember thinking 'this would be excellent if you could walk around the submarine!'.

Unfortunately, the time available to play a game is inversely porportional to your age I think, although as my wife pointed out I get something like 20 hours a week on WWIIOL Shocked

Hey, there's no reason why as a squad we can't go and play these other games you know, if anyone has an interesting game they think the rest of us would enjoy (I know Dezey likes his Eve:Online, I've played a MMO Space Sim called Vendetta which I couldn't really get in to), feel free to post in here and we could sort something out.

I play a version of Falcon 4.0 called Open Falcon, and after spending about a month learning some of the avionics of the F16, I flew a multiplayer Co-Op mission to destroy a power station. it took about 2 hours, and was one of the most intense Sim experiences I've ever had (we had a 2 ship flight, flying through dense SAM and AAA defenses that needed to be neutralised, including some Mig 25's and Mig 29's). In the end we destroyed the power station, but my wingman ran out of fuel and had to eject (lol we never learned how to call the Tanker in). I managed to RTB to a friendly base, and then just sat there covered in sweat. Intense.

Battlefield 2: Project Reality Mod is pretty intense too, the infantry action is a lot like WWIIOL (no silly icons, and friendly fire is on) and it's played by a lot of real life Brit Army guys. You can multi crew a Lynx, or an Apache, and you are generally fighting insurgents which makes for some interesting game play. When I played on one server though, I was locked into playing the insurgents, and had a proper scary moment when I was in a courtyard and 3 British troopers ran in, I let rip with my AK47 and killed them all, then stood there going 'wtf?!'.

Yeah, so if anyone is interested in flying in some other online game, or playing ground or piloting a space ship, or commanding troops whatever post it up here or start a new thread!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:34 pm

I've always been more of a FreeFalcon bloke myself tbh. Razz

Falcon 4 has the best game manual in the history of gaming it must be said, makes the 2 page leaflets you get these days seem abit pointless.

I could never work out how to get all the laser guided bombs and GPS bombs and all that crap to work, so I did all my missions with either CCIP iron bombs or CCIP Cluster bombs.

Flying all the way to the tip of North Korea in a Typhoon / Tornado, then doing a low level CCIP attack on a heavily defended air field with SAM warnings all around you, endless fun. Razz

By the way, don't know if it's a coincidence, or if you've been following the development and so know about it, but one of the main features of Silent Hunter V is that you are the Captain and that you do have to walk around in your Sub and the Harbour in 1st person mode, talking with the crew etc.

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm

MJDixon1 wrote:I've always been more of a FreeFalcon bloke myself tbh. Razz

Falcon 4 has the best game manual in the history of gaming it must be said, makes the 2 page leaflets you get these days seem abit pointless.

I could never work out how to get all the laser guided bombs and GPS bombs and all that crap to work, so I did all my missions with either CCIP iron bombs or CCIP Cluster bombs.

Flying all the way to the tip of North Korea in a Typhoon / Tornado, then doing a low level CCIP attack on a heavily defended air field with SAM warnings all around you, endless fun. Razz

By the way, don't know if it's a coincidence, or if you've been following the development and so know about it, but one of the main features of Silent Hunter V is that you are the Captain and that you do have to walk around in your Sub and the Harbour in 1st person mode, talking with the crew etc.

ah, freefalcon was eyecandy and cockpits, Open Falcon was Avionics and realism:P

There was a brilliant post I read from one of the real life Viper pilots who worked on the avionics for the Open Falcon version, regarding the AIM-120's.

someone was asking about how they used the 'lofted' profile in real life to increase the range of the radar guided missiles, and asking how the firing cues on the screen give you the new parameters for this long range shot, and it was all hard coded in the game (if you are at an angle of 20 degrees or more, your range parameters increase in the HUD) and the guy replied to say basically, the launch parameters of the AIM 120 were still classified, and if we knew half the stuff they see on the actual HUD when they are in Radar AA mode, it would blow us away! He said he had no problems engaging radar contacts at well over the stated ranges (which are about 30nm I think), and some of the difficult stuff we had to do in game was all a lot easier in the real F16 Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Better to fly a knock off Tornado than a fancy F16 I always say. Wink

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:52 pm

got any screenshots of the tornado cockpit? I was originally tasked with creating the GR4 cockpit and working on the Eurofighter for Open Falcon, but all the stuff I was given was in a version of Max 7.0, and I only had Max 4 and couldn't open it grrr.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 pm

There are a few screenshots of the 2D and the 3D cockpit in this thread:

Tornado Preview

I remember I also had a payware cockpit for the Typhoon that was pretty fancy, but it was only 2D unfortunately.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:03 am

I'm with you MJ. The industry is going in the wrong direction at the moment. I've been considering trying Rise of Flight until I found out you need a internet connection even to play offline (why??) and you get just a few planes and have to buy any additional ones. Money grabbing ***holes.

I recently found an old CD of iL-2 Forgotten Battles, which I never had the time to install before, so I'm now trying to get into it...no British though!

I like the sound of Open Falcon and flying a tornado, i'll have to look into that. I used to play Digital Integration's Tornado, and that had a immense brick like manual, but I had the time then to learn it all and master the hundreds of key commands study

Like Dojo, family life has limited my gaming to just a few hours on BE at the moment. Sad
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:04 am

By the way, if you're in to WW1 Flight Sims (like RoF) you might want to try out Over Flanders Fields, it's a third party commercial "mod" for Combat Flight Simulator 3 (but is as far removed from CFS3 as you could possibly imagine) and has a lot of planes and a dynamic campaign (as dynamic as WW1 gets at least), it's the main flight sim I play other than WW2OL:

Over Flanders Fields

Plus, because of the fact it's not from a "real" company, they aren't such arseholes when it comes to actualy letting you play the game. Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:51 am

Cheers MJ

That looks very good, and I already have CFS3 somewhere...just the small matter of finding it scratch
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top