19 Squadron RAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visibility

2 posters

Go down

Visibility Empty Visibility

Post  MJDixon Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:05 am

Visibility Carrots-nightsight-advert-6111

Here are a few tips on trying to increase your enemy spotting abilities in Cliffs of Dover (other than by eating carrots of course.)

Aircraft 'Dots'

The way that long range visibility works in CloD is that a grey dot is placed in the location of an aircraft (rather than the aircraft itself being rendered), imagine it like flying with labels on, but with the labels being very small dots - these dots will eventually change into the aircraft itself once you close to a certain distance (you may have noticed when intercepting AI formations that they suddenly go from being dots to being Heinkels).

It is interesting to note that these dots will only change size slightly depending on your zoom level, as such you may actually find it harder to spot a dot fully zoomed in, than you would fully zoomed out, for example here are two images of the same enemy formation, with the first image taken at normal zoom, and the second image taken at full zoom:

Visibility DotVisNorm_zpsjitupgcn

Visibility DotVisZoom_zpsvw1drleg

Although it's far easier to make an accurate count of the number of enemy aircraft at full zoom, their spacing makes them harder to spot in general, and also full zoom sacrifices a great deal of peripheral vision compared to a normal view - as such it is generally preferable to search for enemy contacts at standard zoom.

This leads into one reason why it may seem that I spot aircraft easier than others do - in the standard camera controls there are 3 field of view options, 30 degrees, 70 degrees and 90 degrees - 70 degrees is the fov that is set at the start of each mission, however I always fly with 90 degrees fov as I feel it's the best zoom level for good peripheral vision. Bearing in mind what I've written about the aircraft icons this also means that it's easier for me to spot dots than those with the standard fov (as my view is zoomed out more), so it might be worth having a go with 90 degrees for a while if you do use the default view, to see if it's any better.

Zoom Modes

Other than the standard FoV buttons (which I have mapped to my joystick so I can quickly have a glance at an area of interest at 30 degrees fov, then switch back to 90 again in an instand) there is also the dynamic 'Field of View +' and 'Field of View -' controls, in the Camera section of the keymap - which allow you to zoom in and out to a greater degree than the standard preset fields of view - as such I have these mapped to a hat switch so that I can fully zoom in on Aircraft once they're within render range, to get an ID on them.

Config Files

Also worth a note are the configuration settings, which may have an impact on icon range - however I'm not sure if they'll be of help to us as they may be set on the server side in mutliplayer, or even matter at all with the Team Fusion mod - as such I'll simply put my own settings in here in case they're somehow different to yours:

MeshShowLod=0

VisibilityDistance=5

both of these settings are found in the conf file in Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Visibility Empty Re: Visibility

Post  speedy77 Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:33 am

Nice info MJ.

I had noticed it's far easier to spot planes in the normal zoom. I also have the FOV views mapped, but not the FOV + and -. I'll have to check my settings.
speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:40 am

It's also interesting to note that as the dots are a certain amount of pixels in size, if you play at a lower resolution they'll actually be easier to spot (as relatively those pixels will take up more of the screen).

So much for unfair technology advantages. Laughing
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:56 am

There is also an additional edit that can be made which apparently increases cloud view distance, which can be made by adding:

[MOD]
ExtendCloudsDistance=yes

at the end of the confuser.ini file, in the same folder as the conf.ini file.

I'm not sure if this line is automatically included when using the TF mod, as the line is already in my confuser.ini, though to be fair I might have added it ages ago and just forgotten. Razz

If not then just leave a space at the bottom of the file, then paste in that.

Also, apparently this edit only works if you have your in-game Landscape Detail set to High.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum