19 Squadron RAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old School

3 posters

Go down

Old School Empty Old School

Post  speedy77 Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:40 am

A while ago I stumbled upon my old Sierra Kings Quest and Space Quest adventure games in an long lost box in the loft. I thought it would be a great way to introduce my daughter to the world of proper gaming rather than feeding a cartoon cat on an tablet. However, a couple of the CDs were missing (I have never been good at keeping disks in the boxes).

This led me to look on steam, and low and behold they had them for sale. Huuzah! I downloaded them and we started working our way through the Kings Quest Collection. Well my daughter loves it, weirdly especially the really old school type interface, "look at tree" "pick up dog turd"  and that sort of thing. After finishing KQ6, I had to find the KQ 7 & 8. Steam didn't have them so I eventually found GOG.com.

Now forgive me if you already now about this site, but it was a revelation to me. Not only did they have the Kings Quest Games, but buckets of other really old school games, flight sims, shooters the lot. They even have the original wing commander games. SO for a couple of quid you can have a crack at  star citizen with cats, or have a go in the stealth fighter before people knew what the hell it was. Very Happy
speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Old School Empty Re: Old School

Post  MJDixon Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:28 am

Good stuff, Speedy. Razz

From waging intergalactic war against the Cat menace, to feeding them on a tablet, how times have changed...

Now that Star Citizen has added pets as a stretch goal, you could always get a Cat and call it 'Prince Thrakhath', then feed it and/or shoot at it to your hearts desire. Laughing

These two have also recently been added to GOG:

X-Wing Special Edition

TIE Fighter Special Edition

This was the first game I ever owned myself though, the plot was amazing - damn you Evil Madman and your invasion of a small but wealthy arab emirate which has nothing at all to do with the Gulf War!

Play Desert Strike

As if you'd ever have Army Apaches sitting on ships going off to blow up random stuff in the desert, that's just daf...

Old School Apache_Helicopter_Takes_off_from_HMS_Ocean_During_Operation_Ellamy_MOD_45153052

...nevermind

I like to think that making Attack Helicopter missions for ArmA III is like a spiritual successor to Desert Strike. Very Happy
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:22 am

speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:37 am

speedy77 wrote:

Well said, Speedy. Razz
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:51 pm

MJDixon wrote:

Well said, Speedy. Razz

Thanks very much. It was the most deeply moving, profound piece of guff I have ever written. Shame my internet at work went pop as I pressed send. Very Happy
speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:59 pm

gog brings back lots of memories Smile
i know it since several years and purchased again some good oldies

police quest, beyond a steel sky for example
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down