Oculus Rift

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oculus Rift

Post  MJDixon on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:52 am

I got myself one of them there Oculus Rift Developer Kit 2s this week, so thought I'd write down what I think of it.

A lot of YouTube videos have people going 'OMAIGODDAFUTUREWOW', but to be honest I was more 'this is alright, this', not sure if that's because they're all hyperactive people, or if I'm just not as impressed by being able to look around, what with having TrackIR.

Other than 'this is alright, this', my main reaction was 'I can't see s**t', as 1080p is far too low a resolution to be doing stuff like visual dogfighting, which I tried with DCS P-51 (there are only a few games at the moment that can run an Oculus Rift DK2, the other being War Thunder - so I think I chose the better one), in my opinion they'll need at least a 4k screen resolution before you can play WW2 era air combat with the same level of success as someone with a monitor.

The other main problem is that it has to run at 75fps or it'll give you motion sickness, something I noticed when I tried to record a video of it (below), as the recorder lowered the FPS and made me feel quite unwell for a good 3 hours afterwards, which is nice - suffice to say I won't be recording any more Oculus Rift videos.

Running it at 75fps however I haven't had any motion sickness, just a bit off offness now and then, but that's to be expected when doing a barrel roll 50 feet of the ground.

At the moment because of the resolution I reckon it's only going to be any good for things like racing games, and flight games that have targeting systems - Elite Dangerous is one example which is extremely good on a Rift, and hopefully Star Citizen will be equally good when it gets support (which is pretty much the main reason I decided to buy one now), other than that I think we'll have to wait for a 4k version for general gameplay, then wait a few more years until you can get a graphics card that can run 4k resolution at 75fps without dropping...

The two biggest plus points for the Oculus Rift, however - especially with regards to flight simming, are that firstly you get a proper 3D image, as the Rift sends a different image to each eye (which you can see in the video), so it works like 'real' 3D, rather than those glasses that flicker and give you a headache - and that the Rift has head tracking similar to TrackIR, but it's at the 1:1 scale rather than exaggerated (and also the camera seems to work a lot better), meaning that to check your six you actually have to check your six, rather than look a few degrees to your side.

Enough waffle, have some Star Wars:

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oculus Rift

Post  MJDixon on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:44 am

Although I did manage to shoot down a Fw190 just now. Razz

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:02 am

I should probably stick to flying, it's safer. Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:53 am

In the words of Captain Bigglesworth "If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!", that said, the last time I flew a Sopwith Camel I crashed. Razz

Now I want to fly over some random jungle chucking grenades at people in black pyjamas and conical hats...

One nice bonus of the Oculus Rift essentially being a head tracked monitor on your face is that you can get out of your Aircraft and have a gander outside if you want.

Manual bail outs coming soon (tm)? :{P

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:09 am

Decided to take my Oculus Rift over to Speedy Land.

So much for my illustrious below average Rally driving career... Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:27 am

maybe it is the recording but the dashboard is not so sharp
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:50 am

There are two reasons for that, firstly the video is zoomed in on one of the two 'eyes' (ie what the view looks like in the older videos) so the resolution is lower than it should be.

Secondly, you view the screen through lenses, so the software adjusts the image to cancel out the distortion you get on the edge of a lense (chromatic aberration) which makes the edges of the screen look strange when you show clips on a normal monitor, like how the co-driver's pace notes have a blue hue around them.

To be honest the dials are quite hard to read anyway due to the low resoltion of the Development Kit, though that's a seperate issue than the blury video.

The Development Kit has a resolution of 1920 x 1080, where as the Consumer Version being released next year has 2160 x 1200, as does the competitor Headset from Valve (HTC Vive), to be honest that's probably still too low for stuff like combat flight sims, but will have to see what it's like in person.

One advantage though is that the next versions have two screens rather than one, so that you can move the screens as well as the lenses, rather than just the lenses, which was a big issue for the Developer Kit and my massive head. Laughing

At the moment it's only really good for car games (hence why I seem to play a lot more car games these days Laughing ), the next version should be good enough for Star Citizen, where it's mainly radar targeting - Elite Dangerous is already pretty good on the current model, so any improvement from there is a bonus (though being able to run Star Citizen at 70 - 90 FPS in 3D is another thing entirely) - but I think WW2 Combat Flight is something for a few years down the line, probably something like a 4K resolution version otherwise you won't be able to see dots and the like in the distance.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:02 am

£529 for the Oculus Rift consumer version.

Not exactly what I would call 'VR for the masses', but nevermind. Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:34 am

My Oculus Touch review:

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:36 am

Going by this performance it's a good thing I joined the VR Air Force and not the VR Army. Laughing

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:23 am

Interesting...what game is that then?

Nice to hear a bit of Quo in there too!
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:51 am

It's called Onward, sort of like budget VR counter strike that uses the touch hand controllers.

It was free on Steam for the weekend, although I think I'll need one of those 90's Light Guns for that sort of thing as it's a bit hard aiming with an imaginary rifle. Laughing

Apparently this is the top of the line in VR Rifle technology:

I guess it's the Sten Gun of the VR world.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm

hahaha Very Happy
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content