Campaign 100. First Mission

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Campaign 100. First Mission

Post  Skip19 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Brussels, April 15 1940.

19 Squadron tasked with clearing enemy air over the town of Leuven. MJ and Speedy had lifted and were searching for the 109s over the town, as I had lifted late due to radio problems.

I managed to locate MJ and Speedy over the town, who had been engaged with various friendlies when my radio went off again and I was left without comms. Checking my six was clear, I noticed a lone stuka tootling towards the town, and tried to indicate to my flight that I was engaging it.

After making two passes at the stuka and leaving him smoking (but unable to finish him off) I managed to make out that MJ and Speedy were east of the town chasing a 109. As I turned to their bearing to join them, I heard reports of first 2, then 3 then 6 109s engaging our flight at around angels 5 south of Aarschot.

Around 10k away, I pushed the throttle through the firewall and raced to help, a lone Spitfire from a different squadron ahead of me. As I neared the fight, and began to see tracers in the distance, the lone Spit had suddenly turned into a 109 and was heading straight towards me. I managed to avoid his burst and pushed on to the fight, but he was on my 6 and I was forced to take evasive action.

At this point I heard Speedy go in, but was still trying to shake off the 109 on my tail and find my way to where MJ was battling with the remaining 6 109s.

Taking a burst of cannon on my wing, and splitting through a pair of Snappers I searched frantically for MJ. As I pulled a hard turn a 109 popped up in front of me and I squeezed off a good burst into him, and at the same time I heard MJ was bailing out over the radio so decided to exit rapidly westwards.

I didn't have time to count the 09s on my tail, but there were at least three vying for position as I weaved NW and SW trying to stay out of their guns. One snapper overshot me as I banked, and I decided to follow the 09 as he stayed low, giving him a good burst and drawing smoke, whilst still taking fire from my 6 o'clock.

As I approached north of Leuven, still twisting and turning, a single 109 broke off from a furball and headed straight towards me. I gave him a burst of .303s and kicked the rudder hard to avoid a collision. As he zipped past, I looked behind to see him barreling towards two 109s, still close and chasing.

At this point a couple of friendlies joined in the fray, and I was able to slip towards Brussels as MJ relifted to cover my exit. A single 109 was left still shooting at me, but he was despatched (or distracted) by friendlies and as MJ approached I was clear, but leaking coolant.

Landed at Brussels, 2 damages (1 Stuka and 1 109E4) and a kill on a 109 E4, and retired for the evening to fix my microphone. Sorry I couldn't do more to help, I'm a little rusty.

It looks a lot like the Luftwaffe veterans will be up and about in this campaign, so we will need to be vigilant, stay high and fast and patrol the lanes.

S!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Campaign 100. First Mission

Post  MJDixon on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Good show, Skip!

I managed to down one of the square heads with a burst to the rear before they knocked out my engine and forced me to hit the silk, after which I stole a motorbike and escaped back to friendly lines in order to get a new Spitfire and take off, all while you were having your fight.  Razz 

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Stats are up. Galoob and Ghost shot down Speedy and MJ respectively, and I avenged Speedy by shooting down Galoobs.

Good sticks, JG something and all that. Smile 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top