Dickie Red

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dickie Red

Post  MJDixon on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:01 am

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dickie Red

Post  speedy77 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:43 am

Looks good. Will have to chagne the squad name to 'falcon squadron'. I'll be 'johnny red' of course, and you'll have to be   'Yakob' the beardy russian.  Razz 
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 am

Meanwhile, on the Russian front:

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:45 pm

good show yakob!  Razz 
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Thank you comrade Johnny.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:26 pm

As far as fan made game trailers go, this one ain't half bad.  Razz 

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:42 pm

It's looking good. Any idea when it will be released?
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Last I heard it was due around September or so.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:09 pm

It's available on Steam now as well (Hinkel has it now too).

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:58 am

Typical Communist rubbish!

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:22 pm

Very Happy lol!
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:03 pm

No wonder they wanted our hurricanes.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:17 pm

I don't suppose we'd survive long enough to find out if the landing gear actually worked if we had to use Hurricanes against 109Gs and FW190s though, Speedy. Razz

Technically, if we were the 19th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment (19.GvIAP) then we'd be using Kittyhawks and Airacobras.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:51 am

Shot down my first FW190 in BoS last night whilst flying with Hinkel (in the IL2 being chased by the 190)

Landing Gear have a very high rate of attrition on the Eastern Front it seems. Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:57 pm

MJDixon wrote:Shot down my first FW190 in BoS last night whilst flying with Hinkel (in the IL2 being chased by the 190)

Landing Gear have a very high rate of attrition on the Eastern Front it seems. Razz

Nicely done sir.

Flying with your canopy open prior to entering the fray? Must be a little chilly santa
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:53 pm

You make joke, comrade Johnny - is -9 degrees Celsius on that day, we Russians know that this is warm day for Stalingrad - you speak like puny German fellow!

BoS is essentially RoF in WW2, so if you have TrackIR you can move your head around a lot, but the canopy blocks your head (who'd have thought it), as such if you open it you can stick your head out and check your six, or see below your nose, which is especially useful in the IL2, as it only has small windows in the canopy, presumably the rest is armour plate. Granted it might be a bit cold flying a Yak at 20,000 feet in the Russian winter, but I take fashion advice from Roderic Dallas, so I'm all right. Razz

Also the fuel gauges on the Yak are on the top of each wing root (one for each wing tank), which you can only actually see if you open the canopy, because putting the gauges in the cockpit is a corrupt western capitalist idea!

I suppose I should be grateful that the speed gauge and altimeter aren't stuck to the Pitot tube. Laughing

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:32 am

Unlocked the 37mm Cannons for the IL2 - things are about to get biblical... Razz

If only we had the Hurricane IID in WW2OL, with the 40mm Cannons...

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:15 am

Yesterday, December 7th, 1942 - a date which will live in obscurity - I had a fight with a 109 on the Syndicate Server and decided to film it from a long way away, so you should probably watch it in HD or you probably won't see anything at all. (I'm the one getting bounced, the other two are 109s.)

Messerschmitts!
'Einkels!
Messerschmitts!
No they ain't, they're 'Einkels!

In all seriousness though, I find this fixed third party perspective is quite interesting for studying energy management, different tactics and psychology (i.e. between the first 109 who starts off in an advantageous position but gets a bit carried away trying to turn fight, then gets rattled once I start shooting back, then tries to evade after he's lost most of his energy, and the second 109, who keeps his energy advantage and flies the 109 'properly', but never commits himself enough to get a good angle on me, which he could have done really in support of the other 109, until he then loses sight of me and flies off in the wrong direction.)

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:45 am

Here's the Cockpit view from the same fight:

Don't mind the holes in the canopy, speed holes make you go faster. Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:34 am

Nice vids MJ.

Out of interest which do you prefer the BOS or ROF flight model?
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:49 am

I would imagine that as Battle of Stalingrad uses an upgraded version of the Rise of Flight game engine that the flight model will be pretty much the same, it's not really something you can tell for sure though due to the difference in the aircraft used - one annoyance I've found in Battle of Stalingrad however is that it seems quite hard to strafe things unless you line up well in advance - usually in other sims if you need to make a minor adjustment you can go in to a slight roll and allow the aircraft to climb in the direction of the target, then level off again - but in BoS you don't seem to get much of a turning action when you make minor roll angles like that, so have to rely more on the rudder - which is a bit too sensitive and wobbly to make fine adjustments like lining up on a truck - I'm not sure if that's an issue found in RoF as well, as WWI Aircraft rely a lot more on the rudder than WW2 Aircraft do, so you can just kick the rudder and fly sideways all day if you want.

As for Cliffs of Dover vs Battle of Stalingrad, again it's hard to tell as the Russian Aircraft are different to the Spitfire (i.e. crap), if I were a sausage guzzler I could probably compare the 109s in CloD and the 109s in BoS, but as it is I'll have to wait for lend lease to come along. Laughing

The main difference I've found between Cliffs of Dover and Battle of Stalingrad is the weapons and damage model, as you can see in the latest video, it's quite easy to shoot down enemy aircraft in BoS, in that example it took one round on target from his high six to get the 109 to spew out black smoke, then another to set fire to him, and that's with the Yak-1, which has the weakest armament of the Russian Fighters (1 x 20mm cannon and 2 x MGs I think), compared to the LaGG-3 (which has the option of 1x 20mm/23mm/37mm cannon and 2 x MGs) and LA-5 (2 x 20mm cannons), so a lot of the engagements seem to be at long ranges, plus it has the same overly accurate AI gunners that the two-seaters in RoF have, so if you plan on getting in close to a Heinkel you'll probably end up with one engine too few, coupled with this, the damage model isn't as detailed as in Cliffs of Dover (but then no damage model in anything is as detailed as in Cliffs of Dover) so it might just be the damage model not being as good, or the fact that it's based 2 years later in the war and the weapons are more advanced.

In my opinion, the flight models of the big flight sims (i.e Cliffs of Dover, Rise of Flight, Battle of Stalingrad, DCS) are all sufficiently advanced that they're all compatible with one another, especially compared to WW2OL - the main differences tend to be to do with gunnery, damage modelling and ground handling.

I've got my WW2 Sim flying all worked out though:

1939/1940 Western Front - Cliffs of Dover
1941 to maybe 1942 Western Front - Cliffs of Dover once the new Team Fusion 5.0 mod comes along
1941 to maybe 1942 North Africa - Cliffs of Dover once the new Team Fusion 5.0 mod comes along, presuming it ends up in the Med.
1942/1943 Eastern Front - Battle of Stalingrad
1943/1945 Western Front - DCS (There's already the P-51D, Fw190D-9 and Bf109K-4, next should be the Spitfire Mk. IX and presumably Spitfire Mk. XIV, though they need to make some WW2 maps and add AI aircraft and vehicles before it can be a proper WW2 sim)

All in all though I'd say I prefer Cliffs of Dover.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:33 pm

Interesting post MJ. I will get BOS and try it for myself soon enough.

I think the TF 5.0 MOD will be like a breath of fresh air with a new desert theatre. I don't recall another flight sim game set in the desert.

Having flown in WW2 Online for so many years I do miss the connection to a larger on going campaign. I just hope they get some serious investment soon(tm)
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:45 am

The original IL2 has some good desert settings, then again the original IL2 covers everything from the Spanish Civil War to Korea. Razz

There was also a mediterranean mod for Combat Flight Simulator 3, which was pretty good for its time.

Still no confirmation that it will be the Med for TF 5.0, but it seems highly likely, to be honest so long as there's a Spitfire with 20mm Cannons and a Wellington I'll be happy!

Apparently they're still working on a new patch for WW2OL (I think the same one they've been working on for about a year now) but it seems mostly ground based, though someone came on to TS last night and said they were bringing back some older aircraft variants like the 109F-1 and 110C-something bomber version, doesn't really help much that the Cockpits in WW2OL are older than some of the people that play the game though.

The only way I see WW2OL getting anywhere these days is if they go for a Star Citizen style kickstarter, but that would probably only be successful if they tried to make WW2OL 2, as I can't see people putting serious money on something that's already 13 years old.

Then again the Kickstarter for DCS WW2 only got to $150,000 (granted it only needed $100,000) but it's nowhere near Star Citizen level (not that anything is.)

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:55 am

Seems they're already working on an expansion, IL2: Battle of Moscow, featuring the following Aircraft:

P-40E-1 Kittyhawk
I-16 Type 24
MiG-3
IL-2 Model 1941
Pe-2 Series 35

Bf109F-2
Bf109E-7
Bf110E-2
Ju88A-4
MC.202 Series VIII

They're also working on summer and autumn Stalingrad maps.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:46 am

I was somewhat surprised to see this when looking at the IL2 BoS/BoM YouTube channel I must say!

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top