Cliffs of Dover

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Cliffs of Dover

Post  Skip19 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:58 pm

"How many hours?"

"2 hours on Tiger Moths and an hour on Hurris sir. I've pranged a couple of Hurricanes on take off, been shouted at by my instructor and blown the engine on a Spitfire over Dover, sir. I've also been shot down by a Stuka and a Heinkel in training sir, but I did manage to down the Stuka, although I ended up in the drink, sir. The Channel is surprisingly shallow at this time of year."

Very Happy 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Pranging on take off seems to be quite a common event:

Makes you wonder how bad the Jerries have it.  Laughing 

I seem to have more trouble with landing than taking off, though I did manage to get it down to two bumps yesterday!

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 pm

I wrecked more planes in take off then in landing. off course if you have trouble lifting you have less practice landing.
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:34 pm

hinkel1 wrote:off course if you have trouble lifting you have less practice landing.

True enough.  Razz 

Pearl Harbor vs Battle of Britain!

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:49 pm

MJDixon wrote:Good show, Skip!

Last I heard Speedy was thinking about getting it, but hasn't used that new fangled Steam before.

Yes, not sure about this 'on the line cloud, downloaded game' business. Give me a trusty £2.99 codemasters cassette tape from WHSmiths any day.

Still, I can't have you chaps racing off without me can I?...So I'll forgo the usual squad night tonight, and get to grips with steam and download the game.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:59 pm

In that case I might fly some Cliffs of Dover tonight instead of WW2OL, presuming Hinkel isn't about as he's usually busy on Tuesday, or wants to play CloD instead - in which case I'll be on TS from 8pm anyway, so we can set up an ad hoc training session or some such if you're struggling.  Razz 

And don't talk to me about Codemasters! Operation Flashpoint 2 my bum, down with the usurper, long live ArmA!

Also you could just buy it in a disk from one of those old fashioned shop places if you wanted, you just have to run it off Steam.

Last edited by MJDixon on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 pm

I will try to come but I am alone with the kid tonight. So if she sleeps and keeps on sleeping I might get on for an hour or so.
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:28 pm

You'll also need this to make the game not suck:

Team Fusion Mod

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:31 am

Takes a while to download and install the patches Speedy.

I'll try and jump on TS later on MJ if you're about.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:42 am

you will need about 30-45 minutes to download all patches and install them. just follow the install tutorial and it will go very fast
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:55 am

The ATAG Teamspeak address is 216.52.148.29:9987 as well, incase we want to use theirs instead of the WW2OL one.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:48 am

Ok chaps I'll let you know how I get on.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:31 am

Statzorzorz!111!!!elevenone

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/stats.php

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:40 am

I'm on the WW2OL TeamSpeak channel atm.

66.28.224.228:9988
password: playnet

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:52 am

all successfully installed. Will try and map control tomorrow.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:39 am

Jolly good.  Very Happy 

Quick vid of Hink and I bashing a Junkers 88 from tonight:

Featuring historical Hinkel, with added tffft!  Razz

When I get access to the track editor program on the ATAG website I'll be able to make proper guncam footage of MP stuff hopefully.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:27 pm

Managed to sort out my controls and even get a few circuits and bumps in a Spit 1a, and eventually managed to take down an AI Stuka without getting creamed by the tail gunner. My framerates are a bit shitty flying low over towns, and I get a few odd hiccups with freetrack (really need to get TrackIR at some point) but I have to say I'm very impressed with the game itself. It's exactly what WWIIOL should be!

Any tips on engine management in the Spit? I seemed to be able to fly for about half an hour with the radiator half open, prop pitch at 80%, lean mix and keeping the throttle at about 85%, but closing the radiatior and going 100% throttle I kept perforating my water radiator. Sad 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I've only really been flying the Spitfire Mk Ia with 100 octane fuel at the moment, so I imagine there are differences between the variants, but I tend to play it safe with the radiator as I'll need more experience before I can fly it on the limits without exploding - I did push it once with the boost cut off and fiddling with the radiator over the Channel trying to catch a 109, but then I blew my engine and the ending wasn't very pretty, that said I usually find that 109s extend away from me more often than not when I play it safe, but they are 109s after all.  Wink 

But generally:

At unlimited cruise, 2700 RPM +3 Boost I keep it at 50% open so it doesn't cool down too much.
At 30 minute power, 2700 RPM +9 Boost or above I tend to just keep it 100% open.

As for mixture, to be honest I just keep it at full rich all the time unless I really want to save fuel or some such, as you have to be under 2600 RPM and +1 Boost for lean mixture or your engine will blow up, or some such.

I tend to go by the RPM and Boost setting rather than the lever position, using throttle to adjust Boost and prop pitch to adjust RPM - also I have all the Simulation messages turned off apart from tower radio comms (can't understand a word that bloke says) so I don't get the messages like thing being perforated or snapping or melting or setting on fire - I just hope the cockpit dials work, start worrying when my Spit starts to shake apart, watch my tail for a stream of glycol and otherwise wing it.  Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Two more things to add to my cockpit notes:

• Don't hit the ground when flying through the Hangar like a twit.
  • Always check the undercarriage indicator light.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Seeing as it's all Steam based I've made a 19 Squadron Steam group, think I need to send invites or some such.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:37 pm

have you found a way to get 19 Squadron skins in yet MJ? Razz 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:54 pm

Does this count?  Razz 

If so you just click on 'Plane' on the spawn in screen, then select Type: Fighter (early), Regiment: No. 19 Squadron RAF, then change Tail Number to your Aircraft ID letter, and Serial Number to whatever (N5767 in my case).

You can also set your radio callsign, which should be Luton in our case I believe.

I think Squadron selection might be locked for most of the singleplayer scenarios though.

I did pick the wrong Camo scheme in that screenshot though, in that it's Standard 1939 Pattern A, like yours - where as the one in my sig is obviously Standard 1939 Pattern B.  Wink

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:35 am

You can also change the gun convergence and ammo belting in the Plane setup screen, at the moment I use convergence of 150 yards (set 137 as it's in metres) for all guns, with ammunition consisting of the following at the moment, though I think I'll mix it up again and try some different loadouts:

Armour Piercing, W, .303 inch, Nitrocellulose, Mark Iz
Incendiary, B, .303 inch, Nitrocellulose, Mark VIz, "De Wilde" Dixon!
Armour Piercing, W, .303 inch, Nitrocellulose, Mark Iz
Incendiary, B, .303 inch, Nitrocellulose, Mark VIz, "De Wilde" Dixon!
Tracer (Yellow), G, Aircraft, 550 yd, .303 inch, Cordite, Mark IIII
Repeat

Convergence seems to be going alright so far, though it might be a bit short against 109s - works well against Bombers though:

I suppose I might as well change it so only the inner 2 guns have tracer rounds, then I can fit in more lethal stuff.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 am

I've seen on the ATAG forums plenty of 109 pilots aren't using tracers (that's not cricket is it!), and also belting their ammo with full AP or over doing the minengenschoss rounds. I've also read the cries of nerfed Spitfire damage models, uber 109 climbing machines and the whole general red vs blue thing going on. I wonder where I've heard all that before?? Very Happy

How is it on their server for snappers? Is it mainly lone wolves or are there decent squad fights going on? Have you seen any bomber formations with fighter cover, and are people actually flying Blenheims there??

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:28 am

If there's an afterlife like in the film A matter of life and death, then I'd imagine it would be full of Pilots standing in line whining about how they woz robbed.  Wink 

Most of the time when I've run into a bandits its been a single one or a pair of snappers, it's usually hard to tell in an engagement you turn up late to if all these people were flying together or just happen to have found the same fight.  Razz 

I did see a flight of 3 or 4 Blenheims heading off to Dunkirk the other day with a flight of Spitfires nearby, there seem to be a few Squadrons, such as 92 Squadron, and Jagdgeschwadder 90.6 and 2/3rds or whoever - so presumably they fly together.

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top