Rise of Flight Night tomorrow!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rise of Flight Night tomorrow!

Post  Skip19 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Right ho then chaps, we're going to fasten up our leather jackets and tie our silk scarves around our necks and head off back into the not so chivalrous world of WWI tomorrow night.

Obviously flying in RoF as we all know is a lot more taxing than flying in WWIIOL, but if we fly with a little discipline and use Section tactics it can all be a lot easier.

so here are some pointers that if we all stay with should make us more effective!

1. - Navigation. Flight Lead is responsible for navigation. Individuals are also responsible for having an idea of where they are at all times. On entering the combat zone, Flight Lead is responsible for giving everyone a rendevouz point, such as over a friendly town or easy to spot ground location. If flying in a three ship, each wingman should have a definitive side, and only swap when performing combat turns.

2. - Combat. It is important when attacking to make sure we do not collide with each other, or fly in front of each others fire. Therefore correct use of 'on' and 'off' is vital. If your wingman or Section Lead is 'on' you should be keeping an eye out for bandits and watching your #2's six, ready to jump 'on' when he is 'off'.

Hinkel and MJ are the most experienced Roffers, so anything else either of you can think of that we can do better, post it in here. Very Happy

Pip Pip!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of Flight Night tomorrow!

Post  speedy77 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Right ho skip.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Sounds good Skip, a few things I would add are:

Flight Lead - We have our own skins for the SE5 now, but it would still make it easier to ID and reform on the flight lead if we make sure that he has a streamer and no one else does, as it would be easier to spot from distance compared to aircraft markings, plus with the majority of aircraft we only have our squadron markings rather than personal ones, that and it's historically accurate of course. Razz

SE5 - The SE5 seems to be our crate of choice, so just to reinforce the differences between fighting with an SE5 and a Spitfire, if you have a hun on your tail chucking bullets at your head then don't break left and try to out turn him to shake him off, don't break right and try to out turn him to shake him off - shove your crate upside down and dive towards the ground as quickly as you can without breaking the engine (over 2100RPM I seem to recall) then level off and regain altitude to rejoin the fight, we've all fought FW190s and seen them just roll over and dive out, well we're the FW190s now! If however the Hun behind you isn't yet in gun range - call your wingman to shoot him down, that's what he's for, if the Hun is close on your six but not yet in gun range then put it into a shallow dive to keep him just out of range while your wingman comes in to assist. Equally, when attacking - don't turn fight with the enemy - dive in at him, spray some bullets - climb out/drag, then let your wingman have a crack, 'on' - 'off' as Skip was saying, the most you should be turning in order to get a gun solution on the enemy is about a quarter of a circle, if the enemy has turned out of your sights more than that then just climb out and try again next time - the only time you should be turnfighting with the enemy is if you're fighting a Fokker Eindecker, a Two-seater with a dead gunner, an enemy with a wonky wing or when you find yourself alone on the deck surrounded by Huns and have run out of other ideas.

So essentially pretend you're a 109, but more dashing and heroic and such!

One last thing is I think it would be good if we all make sure we have -19RFC- before our in-game names, seeing as tommorow is our first proper RoF Squad Night and we wan't to make an impression. Very Happy

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 pm

lately I found the se5 is not used on many maps.
Syndicate is mostly using 1917 maps with spadVII pups tripes and nieu17.

hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 am

Spads are ok - no dolphins?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:26 am

sometimes yes

hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:19 am

I'll be along in a bitski chaps!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Hard bloody work that chaps.

It was interesting that the Alby waited until we engaged the one attacking the bomber before he engaged, if it was the same one we had come across earlier he ignored us as a 4 flight below him, disengaging to the north and then waited until we were split up and attacked the last man (speedy) as we were all looking at the fight below.

Keeping ones SA up is very difficult without the crutches we rely on in WWIIOL (GPS, Icons etc). I struggle not having TrackIR, it's easy for me to lose sight of the fight so I'll work on sorting that out at some point (been meaning to get around to it for ages) and I take responsibility for Speedy getting jumped there. Sorry old bean!

Still, lots of fun and plenty of bad guys around!

It might be useful to have an aircraft recognition section, as I know I struggle with identifying at range, and there have been a few 'blue on blue' instances (and nearly another one last night where I went barreling in on MJ who I was certain was a Billy Bosche!). I've had a look online but I can't find any decent resources, maybe someome with some time could take some screenshots of our most likely foes (and friends!) from different angles and distances...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Skip19 wrote:Hard bloody work that chaps.

I agree.

Hardest thing I still find with this game, is spotting contacts. When you chaps are calling out contacts and their direction, I zoom my view in, but I just can't see them. So I need to work on that somehow.

Also, I am always fighting to keep the nose of the Se.5 down. When I have to take my hand of the stick to use the keyboard for TS button (because the I can't get the fecking satiek software to work with this game) or type something, the nose rockets skyward and nearly stalls.

Good fun though. Would just like to get some guns on something!
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:53 pm

I had great fun yesterday.
cause we are used to gps and icons spotting is much harder. I notice it goes better as you gain more expierence. still sometimes I only spot an aircraft when I m almost on top of it. The 2nd wing doesn t really help to spot targets as it is allways in your way.
When someone spots a target for you it can be blocked by your wing or parts of your plane.

For me the SE5 is very difficult to control it is very sensitive and needs a lot of forward pressure to keep it level. it works very well in 2vs1 situations but with more enemies it becomes a lot more difficult to keep the advantage in the fight. situal awareness is key as spotting is important.

Also on syndicate we meet a lot of pilots that are true veterans of the game. We have encountered at least 2 times Jasta 5. Those pilots are good. We don t get much room for mistakes.

Engine and plane management is also a lot more diffult. Dive to fast and you kill the engine or worse wrip off your wings. ( like MJ yesterday Smile )

With some extra practice we can do better.

hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:24 am

I notice both Speedy and Hinkel are having difficulty in keeping the nose down in the SE5 - are you both using the new adjustable tailplane 'trim'? I have mine constantly on full nose down when flying an SE5 to try to help keep it level.

Also Speedy you say you have to take your hand off the stick in order to press the TS button - don't you have two hands? Razz

I think the first time we probably should have gone in at a higher altitude for patroling the enemy side of the lines, or just patrolled along our side of the lines to begin with so as not to set off all that archie fire, which sort of gave the game away - but that's my fault seeing as I was flight lead.

I'll see if I can work on some Aircraft recognition stuff Skip!

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 am

even with the trim full down it goes up a lot. not to mention the smallest adjustment in heading will mostly give it a big jurk. Trying to play with deadzones have not really worked for me.

Most germans aircraft are rather easy.

Albatross is kinda unique shap and most easy to spot
Fokker and pfalz with the shorter lower wing

some angels make t rather difficult
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:29 am

MJDixon wrote:I notice both Speedy and Hinkel are having difficulty in keeping the nose down in the SE5 - are you both using the new adjustable tailplane 'trim'? I have mine constantly on full nose down when flying an SE5 to try to help keep it level.

Also Speedy you say you have to take your hand off the stick in order to press the TS button - don't you have two hands? Razz
!

I haven't tried messing with the trim as yet.

I'd like the TS button mapped to my stick, as my other hand is taken up with other things........no not what you're thinking, but rather holding a glass of my favourite tipple. Very Happy
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:30 am

They failed to mention the likelihood of this sort of thing happening in that cheery little song about keeping him tight in my Aldis sight. Razz

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top