19 Squadron RAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noob progress thread

5 posters

Go down

Noob progress thread Empty Noob progress thread

Post  speedy77 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Thought I'd make a thread for some brief ramblings about my progress.

I had a few hours to spare over the weekend, so I took the opportunity to take the F-16 for a spin. I still bypass the ramp start for the moment, but I can safely taxi around and take off with no dramas. I flew the TE training nav and timing mission successfully, on time, and landed perfectly. Huzzah! That done I thought it about time I blew up some bad guys, so had a little play with the Aim-9s and guns.

Starting the TE aim-9 training, I struggled at first because the Aim-9's weren't automatically seeking a contact that was filling my HUD (which I thought was the point!). Plus the contacts weren't appearing on my FCR in either RWS or TWS modes?? could thay have been too close??. Pressing TMS up eventually locked a missile and I could fire and kill the target. I had the same trouble with a Mig-29 where the missiles wouldn't lock on. Pressing buttons randomly led me to dogfight mode, and I got close enough for guns, which had the desired effect. However, I then couldn't then get out of dogfight mode! If someone could help me there that would be great?!

Starting again I eventually figured out, I had the aim-9s in slave mode and not boresight mode, and I forgot about the uncaging part. Plus the seeker heads were warm, and I guess they should always be cool before firing? Why the radar wasn't showing the cons in TWS mode is beyond me at the moment.

I then tried turning on the HMCS, so see how that works, but I struggled to designate targets with it. It is 'standard' practice to have this turned on??

Lastly I had a crack with ILS landing in the mist but got hopelessly lost without picking up the beam. So I'll have to try that again soon.

Bombs and Flight refuelling next...should be interesting.
speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Noob progress thread Empty Re: Noob progress thread

Post  Skip19 Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:46 am

Ok, modes (I'm doing this from memory so may be some errors here)

There are 5 modes (although two of them appear the same to me, not sure of the difference between AA and MRM)

NAV
DGFT
MRM
AA
AG

NAV is default, and can either be accessed by pressing the same button you pressed to get in to the mode (for AA and AG on the UFC or Up Front Controller) or by pressing C if you have gone in through Dogfight/MRM mode. (I think).

These modes can be set in your DTC settings to display certain screens on MFD1 and MFD2, for instance you can set AA mode to show the SMS screen on right MFD.

Your issue with Dogfight mode is probably that the default radar state is 'off', you see that in the top of the HUD. I would usually go

<press dogfight mode button>
<press TMS Down!> (sets radar to the lift line setting) or <press TMS right> (sets radar to boresight scan?)

In a dogfight you're looking up through the hud (or outside the canopy) not at your radar screen, so you should be locking things up through there not through the radar.

I think HMCS only works to designate targets if you have Aim-9X's.

I think Aim-9P's are cooled automatically, you only need to select cool if you have had them uncaged for a long time - the cooling process is a one release system that cools the seeker head down if I recall correctly.

All good stuff speedy, sounds like you are ready for the training flight 1! Very Happy

Last edited by Skip19 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : (TMS Down not up!))
Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  Eagle-Eye Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:53 am

speedy77 wrote:Plus the contacts weren't appearing on my FCR in either RWS or TWS modes?? could thay have been too close??.
Assuming your radar was in fact operating, there might be several causes:
- Your radar scan altitude was wrong. The closer you get, the smaller your radar cone becomes, so it might not pick up targets because your radar is not scanning the correct airspace (too low/high, too much left/right).
- The targets were indeed "too close" to spot on your FCR. If targets are at <5NM, and your FCR range is set to >80NM, the radar returns will show at the lower edge of your FCR. If you have the MFD Text enabled, that may result in the targets being lost within the clutter.

speedy77 wrote:Plus the seeker heads were warm, and I guess they should always be cool before firing?
Missiles do not HAVE to be cooled or uncaged before firing, but it sure helps to increase your hit chances. Cooling will enhance heat sensitivity, and uncaging will allow the missile to fly lead instead of pure pursuit.

speedy77 wrote:I then tried turning on the HMCS, so see how that works, but I struggled to designate targets with it. It is 'standard' practice to have this turned on??
See below on how to designate targets with it. Whether or not it's standard practice to have it turned on depends on squadrons or personal favour, but in a real life F16, HMCS can not be used in conjunction with NVG (the NVG goggles can't fit in the HMCS helmet). We don't have this limitation with BMS (yet), so you're free to do what you like. Razz
What I usually do is turn it on during taxi, but hide it (by holding DMS Down for 1 sec) whenever I don't need it. Pressing DMS Down again for 1 sec will unhide the HMCS.

Skip19 wrote:not sure of the difference between AA and MRM
There's no real difference in functionality (except for guns not being used in MRM). There's a big difference in access speed, though. The AA-mode is on your ICP, so you would have to go heads-down and hands-up to select it, MRM-mode is on your throttle grip and can be set heads-up HOTAS.

AA would be used if you have time to select it, want to change certain parameters (default missile, RCS size, scan method, ..) etc. Most of the time, you'll be using this during a dedicated AA-mission.
MRM is more of a panic switch, just like DGFT. You'll generally use it if you are ingressing on a ground target, in AG mode, and get jumped by enemy fighters. Cancelling MRM- or DGFT-mode will return your aircraft to the exact settings it had before switching.

Skip19 wrote:Your issue with Dogfight mode is probably that the default radar state is 'off', you see that in the top of the HUD. I would usually go

<press dogfight mode button>
<press TMS Down!> (sets radar to the lift line setting) or <press TMS right> (sets radar to boresight scan?)
I believe you have to press TMS Up to set it to BORE. That will - by default - have the radar look straight forward (showing a cross symbol in the HUD, iirc). You can also use TMS Up to guide the radar visually with HMCS. A circle will appear as you keep TMS Up pressed and move your head around. It will automatically radar lock targets it finds within the circle.
Would have to check for the correct switches/buttons myself, but I think you could also fire off-set AIM-9 without radar lock by holding Cursor Enable. You should then see the "heater diamond" tracking your HMCS movement.

Skip19 wrote:I think HMCS only works to designate targets if you have Aim-9X's.
Negative. HMCS can be used for AIM-9 and AIM-120. The only difference will be the angle you can use. AIM-9X have a viewing angle of 90°, but others only have ±65°, iirc. AIM-120 is obviously limited by radar gimbals.
Eagle-Eye
Eagle-Eye

Back to top Go down

Post  Si the Sky Serpent Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:30 am

Availible for flight if anyones up for it tonight? happy to play the other sims aswell. Smile
Si the Sky Serpent
Si the Sky Serpent

https://www.youtube.com/user/musicmystro?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice chaps. All good stuff, to cram into my memory!

I went through the TE training for Ramp Start, that's also very involved but very satisfying flicking switches and pushing buttons. I found a good Android App for my phone which contains all the procedure checklists which you can tick off as you go, and also an interactive map for Nav info, ILS frequencies etc. I don't think its available for iPhones though.

BMS Falcon APP
speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 am

Good find, Speedy!

I don't have one of them there smart phone things, but I do have a Galaxy Tablet, so I'll have a look at it on that.

Naturally I'll be needing one of these now. Razz
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm

MJDixon wrote:
Naturally I'll be needing one of these now. Razz

85 big bucks for a gadget to stick something to your knee!... surely you could bodge something together with blue tack sellotape and velcro to do the same job Razz
speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down