25 October, The games afoot

View previous topic View next topic Go down

25 October, The games afoot

Post  MJDixon on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Can this cockpit hold the vasty fields of Belgium?

Let's hope not - the cockpit has enough to do holding my vasty behind - besides, I'd like to leave the fields of Belgium on the outside of the cockpit if at all possible!

Now entertain conjecture of a time when creeping sapper and revving opel fills the wide riverbank south of Schilde.

Enter into this scene our most valiant hero (that's me) atop his noble Hurribomber.

It was all quiet on the western front when I started my lone patrol up to the enemy held town of Schilde, only out of date reports of light infantry here and there - therefore I wasn't expecting much as I flew over the destroyed Schilde road bridge, finding to my surprise an Opel parked on the road leading up to the bridge, and without even so much as a twig for camouflage - no sir it shall not do! These germans offend me with their blatant disregard for the awesome power of the Royal Air Force - by god I'll teach them a lesson they'll never forget!

These were the thoughts running through my head as I ripped into the Opel with my 20mm cannons, as if it were one of the broken down trucks on the target range - my first pass tore apart the back end of the Opel - sending wheels bouncing off in all sorts of directions, then swinging around for my second pass I sent my shells screaming into the engine, resulting in the entire truck exploding in flames - not a bad day's work if I do say so myself!

I then flew north over the town of Schilde itself, seeing no targets of interest within the town - however I then saw one of our own Tanks heading towards the town from the west, clearly the western front was not as quiet as I had been lead to believe, as a result of this I radioed the brown jobs and asked them if they needed a hand, which was politely accepted, which makes a change...

I was soon joined by a second Hurribomber as we went about the business of strafing the enemy guard posts and anti-tank positions, all the while as our ground forces grew in strength on the western edges of town, this lead to me sending a radio message back to base, requesting additional units.

We soon had a full scale battle on our hands, I had eight to ten Hurribombers flying on my mission, and our ground forces were smashing through the town - surrounding the enemy army base, the centre of opposition, in which there was at one point some two Tigers, a Panzer IV and a StuG, as well as a number of anti-aircraft guns - I dropped my bombs on a number of tanks, but seemingly scored no good hits, whilst also tearing the wheels off a 232 scout car before someone else dove in to finish him off, and shot up a number of FlaK guns here and there - before hearing reports of intense infantry combat in the enemy command post, and heavy machinegun fire pinning down our troops from an adjacent building - I then took it upon myself to dive in, and dropped my two bombs onto the building, with the aim of demolishing it and the huns inside - seemingly, however, the Belgians build their houses well, as my bombs did not seem to have much of an impact on the building - hopefully they gave the germans a headache at least! I then started to strafe through the windows of the german command post in an effort to pin down or horribly maim the defenders within, while our ground forces slowly pushed forward, eventually capturing the german command post and liberating the town.

It was just after the town had been liberated that the Luftwaffe arrived (brilliant timing as usual), unfortunately for us we were at low altitude after our strafing runs and had no fighter cover to speak of as four or five Messerschmitts and Fockes dove upon us - I quickly radioed for fighter cover and began calling peoples sixes and telling them to watch out, until I was somewhat distracted when someone called my six, looking back to see a right ugly little focke diving down on my six, chucking cannon shells at me, as I broke away, managing to avoid most of the nasty stuff - give me opels any day!

After about three or four breaks it became apparent that nobody was coming to help me, and that the focke was becoming somewhat obsessed with killing me horribly - clearly I was left with no other choice, swinging the nose of my Hurricane up and around to point directly at the focke as he dove down on me for another pass - both of us opening fire head on, with me landing a number of hits on his starboard wing, while his rounds smashed into my engine, causing it to cough and stream white smoke - I then pushed the nose down under him as we merged, hearing a terrible smash which sent my crate flying sideways - at first I thought the Focke had blown my tail off, but looking across I could see a Focke-Wulf shaped gouge in my starboard wing - then looking back I could see the crippled Focke spinning downout of control, exploding into a field! The Hun had hit me!

Finding myself still somehow able to fly, I set a course for Brussels, landing what was left of my Hurricane back safely with no further incident.

Last edited by MJDixon on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:56 am; edited 3 times in total

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 25 October, The games afoot

Post  hinkel1 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:26 pm

nice aar
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:51 am

very nice.

One day you'll write one without using the words 'as such' Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 am

MJDixon wrote: looking back to see a right ugly little focke diving down on my six

enough to give even the stoutest of fellows nightmares.

nice report MJ
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:31 am

Skip19 wrote:very nice.

Taa!

Skip19 wrote:One day you'll write one without using the words 'as such' Very Happy

One day you'll write one! Very Happy

I have taken your point and as such have removed all mention of as such from the AAR, as such it should be much improved.

Bonus points for three uses of shakespeare though, surely?

speedy77 wrote:
MJDixon wrote: looking back to see a right ugly little focke diving down on my six

enough to give even the stoutest of fellows nightmares.

nice report MJ

Just you wait until I write the AAR about tuesday night, where a 109 Dove on me from behind, smashed into the back of me, exploded and tore my entire vertical stabilizer (rudder and all) clean off! Laughing

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top