19 Squadron RAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

24 oktober: new toys

4 posters

Go down

24 oktober: new toys Empty 24 oktober: new toys

Post  hinkel1 Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:22 pm

The fighting finaly eased down a little. I think the axis are getting short of supplies and need some time to get fresh troops and equipement in.
We are happy we can breathe again. Last days have been terrible. I had great fear of my life. The luftwaffe had total air superiority and just lifting was allmost equel with dying. But we had to.
Our lines got pushed back but the jerrys did not succeed in braking it.
reinforcements finaly arrived inf the form of new equipement and the american ground forces. Their divisions are allready entering the front lines.
They also bring the P38 Lightning from the lockheed company. As I have experience in the us made planes they assigned me to test it for frontline duty.
My friends from 19 squadron also received the new Spit IX.
In the morning the axis started with a weak attack on Brussels. The problem was that it was the base of 4 squadrons. We quickly lifted to avoid being overrun. We head to aarschot to do some close airsupport. If the attack would succeed we would cut of some german regiments controling leuven.
The skies remained empty and our raf bombers could bomb at will on the town. The only worry was the many flak guns the jerry s had set up.
I quickly noticed I could not keep up with my squad mates. P38 is considerable slower then the spit IX. However it does not consume as much fuel and it is heavily armored. With the hispano cannon and 4 .50 mgs it could really do some damage.

As I was alone I decided to test it diving capabilities and meet with the squad over target area where they should be.
The plane quickly locked up and was not responding to my commands. The ground came closer and closer and I tried to loose some speed. It was only at tree top altitude when I managed to get it level again. My heart was pounding at least 200 beats per minute. As I gained altitude again I realised I cheated death once more.

Back at 4km alt the luftwaffe arrived. It seemed they also get some new toys. A newer version of the bf109 and a focke wulf 190.
The P38 is not match for the 190. It is very nimble and can outturn my plane with ease. I managed to get some round in one 190 and it dove away.

In the mean time the axis attack on Brussels failed and a counterattack began on Leuven. We were called in to support.
When I arrived ( lost my squad again ) I saw many contacts over town. Most of them were friendly doing CAS on the town.
A lone 109 was chasing a friend. I was able to get on 6 and let my guns do the job. It did not take a lot of rounds. I shot of the left wing and the pilot bailed out. My first victory in the P38. A little later another 109 showed up and I let the same thing happen to him. it went quit again in the air and I decided to test the ground attacking capabilities of my plane. If you manage not the get locked up in your dive it remains stable guns platform. After several passes on the towns defenses I see a 110 showing up. He must have been scared and ran away. I followed him back to aarschot. As i was not really gaining I let him go. I saw a better target. A 109 just passed under me. I rolled on upside down and started my attack run. A short burst and the 109 was on fire. My smile quickly faded when I noticed my controles were not responding again. The burning 109 comming closer and closer. Before I could react my plane collided and ripped of my right wing. I managed to bail out just south west of aarschot. The bad thing was that the Aarschot attack failed and will be landing in enemy territory.
Luck again was on my side. My uncle owned a farm in Aarschot. I landed exactly in front of his stables when he was feeding his cows. He was very surprised to see me. He offered me a cognac which I gladly accepted.
I will stay with him until night fall. Then I will try to reach my own lines again.
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

24 oktober: new toys Empty Re: 24 oktober: new toys

Post  Skip19 Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:55 pm

nice AAR hinkel. those P38s are hard work but worth it once you get in guns range!
Skip19
Skip19

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:01 pm

but dogfighting is out of the question.

1vs1 you will loose easily.

it is not even fast enough to disengage from a fight

strange they actually put it in game in the first place as in history they pulled away the p38 from european theatre as it proved ineffective against 190 s.

They only did very well in the pacific
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  Public001 Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 am

My second week back with 19 RAF. All of this fighting sure as hell is different than all the bloody paperwork I used to do. Oh well, the upside of my demotion is I get to fly again. That on it's own is worth it. Add to it I'm rejoining 19 RAF I'm as happy as a puppy.

We took off from Brussels, towards Aarschot, as the ground attack sirens started yawning. German troops were nearby, and preying at the aircraft, so taking off quickly was of high performance. Of our 5 aircraft, I was the lone gentleman flying our new toy, the Spit IX. Damn that plane can fly... It simply destroys any of it's older folks simply by having more ammo... Anyways, I took off, and was gpimg to provide high cover for the CAS flying lads. Perhaps I went too high, as I ended up at 27,000 feet high, realising the jerries were on the deck. After diving down amd cooling my engine, I spotted a first nemesis. A 109 was stalking the battlefield. I got nearer and nearer... Just to see it explode in front of me. Sometimes, my squad mates are a bit too... enthiousiastic.... Oh well. Carrying on, most of our Hurri's were forced to head back to Antwerp to rearm. While most of my allies were gone, I spotted a 109 slightly lower than me. He spotted me as well. After a tense dogfight, he suddenly left my view. I assumed he had left, but HQ later told me I had flamed him there and then. I carried on, but as my squaddies returned another 109 was spotted. This was one of the older versions, but it was an enemy nontheless. I quickly dmflew at him, trying to keep him away from the rest. I quickly took him down and received my second kill of the day. After celebrating, I was told a bandit was on my six. After outturning him, I engaged, only to ser him blow up in front of me, again.

Around this time my co-pilots informed me that I was leaking. I asked them what. The answer? Everything. After circling around one last time, my engine overheated, forcing me to land. In a field. In a combatzone. In Belgium. Luckily, the peasants living here still spoke Dutch. Turns out they were related to a certain squadmate of mine....
Public001
Public001

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:05 pm

they speak flemish not dutch Smile
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Nice AARs, chaps!

I like how Hinkel points out they speak flemish and not dutch, but makes no mention of his relatives being called peasants. Razz
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:06 pm

as i told that i landed on a farm i thought you would have understood the uncly was a farmer / peasant
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:13 pm

It might have been a substantial farm. Razz
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  Public001 Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:24 am

Please, its Belgium...