21 October, the eve of destruction

Go down

21 October, the eve of destruction

Post  MJDixon on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 am

The war is not going well - our early gains and confidence have been reversed, and the seemingly weakened luftwaffe has a renewed strength and fierceness - it seems as though every time we go up we run into a flight of 5 - 7 of the yellow nosed blighters, and always above us - always diving down cannons tearing into us, today, flying with Dezey, I dove down on to the tail of one of the new 109 types that have been appearing at the front - I had at lest 5000 feet advantage over him - yet all he did was fly along calmly until he extended away, as if I were flying a Hawker Fury, not a front line operational Spitfire - we later ran into a flight of five of the boche swines, no such luck for us - fight or die, I lost my wing when 3 of them set on me - had to bail out over a forest, just my luck.

I only managed to bag one of the teutonic swines when he became so over-confident that he flew directly over our Airfield, alone - whilst I was gaining altitude over the field, even then I had to drag him kicking and screaming to the deck, and nearly lost him as he began to climb away - just as I fired my cannon rounds into his tail, tearing it off - back in '41 such kills came easily, now they seem to be cause for celebration.

There's talk about the place of a new Spitfire in development, one that can outmatch the new 109s - more power, more ammunition - I only pray that it arrives soon enough, or else there won't be any of us left alive to fly it...

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill

View user profile

Back to top Go down