Why I Fly With 19 RAF

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why I Fly With 19 RAF

Post  Acroyer on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:35 pm

In real life, I'm a 46 year old American guy, living on the east coast. My time zone doesn't really match up well with the UK based 19 RAF squad, but I chose to fly with them anyway. Last night, my wife made the observation that out of all the (many) online games I have played or still play, I always come back to WW2OL, and to flying with this group of players.

Don't get me wrong - in the other games I play, I'm in clans/guilds/groups with people I generally enjoy playing with, and I do pretty well in those games (EVE, World of Tanks, SWTOR, you name it). But I seem to end up back here, and I got to thinking about why that is, exactly.

Well, the game itself has pretty simple graphics, plain by the current standards of MMO games. The flight model is decent, but we have lots of arcade style mechanisms included to make finding a fight easier (so we have very little 'realism' in our little war game). The variety of units, and the variety of towns to fight in are nice...but I usually just fly, so that's not it. Flying itself requires..or at least encourages a hefty investment in hardware if you want to be competitive. A good joystick, voice comms, TrackIR, rudder pedals...a lot of money to fly a virtual plane, when you can use a mouse and keyboard to drive tanks or fly spaceships.

So why come back, why fly with these guys instead of someone else?

Four things, really.

First, and foremost, they are professional when they play. I am so very tired of the typical online gamer who talks trash in game and in the forums, who repeats mindless internet memes as if they are profound insights, and who swears at least twice in every sentence. I used to think that it was the 'classic English composure' that kept my fellow pilots from ranting over comms when things are going badly, but having played with some UK players in other games, I see that it's not a culture thing at all. These guys simply don't think that ranting and raging over comms is going to help the situation, so they don't do it. They may say something like 'damn, I've lost an engine, sorry chaps', but they never get on comms and spew a stream of insults and expletives about the enemy pilot (or an allied one). This is the only group of players I have ever felt comfortable leaving my speakers active, where my wife can listen in on the action. In every other game I've played, I make sure the speakers are off, and my sound only goes to the headset.

Second, they really do try to use team work, at all times. I've been in many gaming groups where you are nominally 'part of the group' but everyone simply chats to each other, and few actually log in and work together. In this squadron, if you are alone somewhere and a fellow pilot logs in, it is almost certain they will ask where you are and promptly join you.

Third, they actually maintain a schedule - you know when and where the group will be playing, and you know in advance. They organize training sessions when the server is slow, and they 'fly to the sound of the guns' when there is work to be done on the battlefield. I've been in gaming groups where you log on to see 20 people in TS, but 8 of them are playing some other game, 3 are afk, and the rest are puttering around doing nothing of value. If you try to get the group going and in game, half of them make excuses for not playing - it's a chat room with a theme, not an active team of players.

Fourth and finally, these guys are good. All of them are better combat pilots than I am, and I am not ashamed to admit it. They may not be the best pilots in the entire game (that is fairly hard to quantify, actually), but they are certainly formidable and well respected by the enemy. If you want to get better at something, you don't surround yourself with average or below average players. I want to get to the point where I am respected by my enemies, and considered formidable, too. So I fly with these guys, who can teach me how to improve, and who can help keep me alive long enough to learn.

So that's why I fly with 19 RAF whenever I can. They are a well organized group of polite, professional killers, and they are willing to help me improve my skills as a virtual pilot. They are the reason I play WW2OL, instead of EVE/WoT/Warbirds/what-have-you. (My wife also points out that you can't get much more 'immersion' than flying Spitfires/Hurricanes with actual English players, but that's just a bonus to me.)
Acroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why I Fly With 19 RAF

Post  MJDixon on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Nice thread Acroyer, awfully rousing I must say! Very Happy

I shall try to live up to your expectations as a terribly polite highly professional punctual extremely skilled and awfully brave flying chap! Laughing

acroyer wrote:(My wife also points out that you can't get much more 'immersion' than flying Spitfires/Hurricanes with actual English players, but that's just a bonus to me.)

Although you say you like the fact that we're English chaps flying Spitfires and that's very immersive - I quite like the fact that we have the odd American and Free Belgian and Free Dutch etc, the arsenal of democracy and all that! Very Happy

We could do with a token Canadian and an Aussie or New Zealander really...

Though I think you should stop refering to us as 'they' - and start calling us 'we', as you're just as much a part of the squadron as the rest of us are! Smile

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 am

Though I think you should stop refering to us as 'they' - and start calling us 'we', as you're just as much a part of the squadron as the rest of us are! Smile

this Smile

nice post

gave me a warm feeling inside flower
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Public001 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:32 am

Oh, I might just end up chasing him away :S

Oh well, I hope I won't :p
Public001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:28 pm

acroyer wrote:. They are a well organized group of polite, professional killers

I wouldn't say we are professional killers, rather just trying to do a job to protect our shores from the very persistent jerry!

Very nice post acroyer Very Happy
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum