19 Squadron RAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SE5a Elevator Response

3 posters

Go down

SE5a Elevator Response Empty SE5a Elevator Response

Post  MJDixon Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:46 pm

I know Dezey was having trouble with his SE5 wanting to fly to the moon, I didn't have that issue with Force-Feedback as it seems to counter it, but since getting my Spit Stick I've decided to trim mine so it's level at high-ish speed, which looks like this:

SE5a Elevator Response Se5aelevator

Moving the 'dot' down makes the stick default position be more elevator down, moving it up makes the stick default position more elevator up, so the SE5 is at -48%, where as something less extreme like a Pup would be -20%.

It seems to work on my stick anyway, though it means the down elevator action is more sensitive than the up elevator action, but my joystick seems to be set up to have more up elevator control than down elevator control anyway, like in this pic (of the real stick):

SE5a Elevator Response Controlstickblueprint

From a real life point of view (if you're interested in that sort of thing Razz ) most WWI Aircraft didn't have adjustable trim (like a Spitfire) so were trimmed on the ground to be level at a certain speed - however the S.E.5 did have adjustable trim:

SE5a Elevator Response RAFSE5TailSkid

Means nowt to me either. Laughing

Not sure what other Aircraft had adjustable trim, the Sopwith Triplane did:

"The control for changing the stabiliser angle was a wheel about ten inches in diameter mounted on the right side of the cockpit, level with, and slightly forward of, the pilot's elbow. Movement of the wheel through an arc of about five to six inches changed the stabiliser angle about one degree. It was a positive and powerful trimming device."
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

SE5a Elevator Response Empty Re: SE5a Elevator Response

Post  hinkel1 Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:48 pm

does it also makes the moving less sensitive?

i have the problem that it is so sensitive with me that its hard to make a descent aim in a dive.

slight move will make it jump ( up or down ) which makes it very hard to adjust
hinkel1
hinkel1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:09 pm

You could try using the S-curve option, I think that should make it less sensitive to minor movements (though it will make it more sensitive to large movements.)

I don't notice sensitivity much as my stick is very long (fwoah!) so I can move it a lot for only minor control input.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:23 pm

I have done a similar tweak. It is basically the same the only difference I have used a curved line rather than straight.

When the control input hits that change of pitch in your graph, you will get a sudden 'jump' in input. A curved line gives a more gradual change of input.
speedy77
speedy77

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 pm

I'll have a look at an S-Shaped version, Speedy - though my stick is uneven as it has more up elevator movement than down elevator (like the one in the picture) or at least it seems to, hard to tell as the default stick position is at an angle. Razz

So it might be better to have a jump as the stick isn't even - but I'll try both and see what it feels like.

Though from a practical point of view you're not likely to ever need to use a lot of negative-G down elevator apart from trying to make snap shots, at least not in dogfights (where accurate control responses are most important.)
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Naa, tried it with S-Curve but I don't think it's for me, seems to make it too slugish in the low range then too sensitive in the high range - I prefer to have a constant line so I know each increment is the same, rather than have it sneak up on me. But like I say, it might just be that my stick is longer so I can make smaller movements.
MJDixon
MJDixon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down