Spins and Stalls

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spins and Stalls

Post  Skip19 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Are bloody hard work!

So I went and bought the SE5, the Camel, the Dolphin and the Neuport 17 (along with the Spad XIII you get as part of the Demo) and I've had a little play with them all now (in between sorting out our cat having kittens!)

I like the SE5 (once its up to speed, it's low speed handling is awful) and the Dolphin (apart from the rear view - like a Spit V!) but the Camel is sublime! My kind of aircraft! The only problem I have is spin recovery - I put one in from 4000 feet, I just couldn't get out of it using the old throttle back, rudder opposite spin and hands off control column method.

Any tips on Spin recovery?

Oh, the other thing I tried was a snap roll in the SE5 - that put me in the dirt as well!

Dropped the left wing and the nose, picked up some airspeed, then full right stick and pulled it back into my stomach and kicked right rudder - it went inverted pretty quick and then dropped like a brick!

I'm enjoying the learning curve, it's a really good sim! I was disappointed to see on the forums people moaning about plug pulling though Sad

Whats it like in MP then?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spins and Stalls

Post  MJDixon on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:15 pm

The spin recovery technique in RoF doesn't seen to match up to what it should be in real life, however I've got a system that seems to work (most of the time Razz ) in the SE5a, which you can see in this video (don't you ever watch my videos?!):

Essentially you push the stick to the top left, whilst also pushing full rudder, then you push the stick to bottom right, whilst also pushing full opposite rudder, then continue doing that (you might need to incease or decrease the rhythm to get it to work) until you start to fall out of the spin, then you hold the controls in that position until you come out of the spin.

As for the Sopwith Dolphin, the Pilot's head is actually too low down in the default camera position, as in reality the Pilot was sat up with the upper wings, which can be seen by the positioning of the Aldis Sight if you have the field mod pack for it, this is what my Sopwith Dolphin view looks like (it's a bit windy, mind!):

You can change the default camera position by moving your head into the desired location, then pressing F10 (I think) to set it as default.

It does of course have the unfortunate drawback that if you misjudge your landings slightly then you might accidentally decapitate yourself - but you can't have it all!

As for the Sopwith Camel, can't say I've ever tried to put it into a spin and get it out again - but then I'm not completely insane enough to purposefully spin the most unstable deathtrap in the history of aviation to see what happens. Laughing

With Multiplayer, I can't say I've seen anyone pull the plug - I did once have an Albatros disappear after I shot him, but I got the kill on him, so I presume it was just a dead pilot and he despawned or some such.

I find people to be generally agreeable, even so far as to go S! to eachother after having a fight.

There's usually about 20 - 40 people online on the Syndicate Realism Server of an evening, main difference I find between SP and MP is I can't out-turn anyone at all in MP, which is why I just stick to flying the SE5a or SPAD VII for now, because that means I don't have to turn fight anyone. Laughing

I also find MP Air Combat to be more interesting in RoF in some ways than it is in WW2OL, as with icons off and the like you can actually put yourself in the sun to bounce people (as the sun is actually bright!) and you can dive in and out of clouds (which are actually 3D!) to lose people - for example I was flying about and saw a Pfalz attacking a HP 0/400 from behind, so the HP goes and flies into this massive cloud - which was a bit annoying for me as the Pfalz also flew into the massive cloud, and I wanted to shoot him down. Laughing

Guess I should practice with the Camel as well as the SE5, should learn to turn fight at some point!

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 am

From memory to come out of a snap roll you reverse the controls. i.e: get some speed, stick bottom left and full left rudder...and round and round you go...stick up right and full right rudder should bring you out of it. I haven't tried it for a while mind, so good luck.

The same thing in WWII online makes a spit do a crazy spin too, but the recovery is not a quick. Very Happy

I've had the game for over a year now and haven't really got to grips with it, as like Skip my gaming time is somewhat limited! I have yet to tried it in MP.
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 pm

i am really enjoying this game more and more.

the spin trick works in a se5 but have not tried it in other planes.

If i dogfight with the se5 i allways lose but in a camel it is manageble

it seems axis rides outclass most of allied planes certainly in early tier.

I outurned a neuiport 17 with my albatros yesterday and hit him a couple of times but then another axis came in and killed the 17 Sad . kill stealing also happens in this game but glad it was not mj this time Wink

kill credit seems to be a bit weird also. I attacked a RE8 and shot it down. however he managed to wound my pilot ( yes came to close again i know ). it was not to bad and was on the way to rtb. after 5 min flying my engines dies on me ( don t know why as there were not any oil splashing in the face but was flying long so i guessed out of fuel). so while i m still mid air the bomber pilot got a kill credit on me. strange as i did not even hit the ground yet. i actually managed to land my plane withouth problem.

Syndicate is the server i am on the most due to the realism. at least people don t run away at first sight of the enemy like in BE.
I hope we can organize some squad nights on ROF but game time seems limited for most people Sad
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skip19 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:46 pm

For the snap roll in the SE5, I've managed it a few times with just rudder and elevator - so drop opposite wing a little, then kick full rudder in the direction you want to flick, and at the same time pull the stick full back - I've not quite got the timing to stop the flick after one roll, I've done a few that have been one and a half or two full rolls, but you generally come out level and without losing any speed which is nice.

I'm a ways off multiplayer yet, Just tried to start a campaign and my flight leader took off across the wind, causing my SE5 to bite the dirt and flip over, so I need to go back and look at windy take offs.

Last edited by Skip19 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hinkel1 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:54 am

I thought fuck training and went allmost directly to MP which in my opinion is the best training school :p
hinkel1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:58 am

I saw that there's an in game training school, but noted that it's an American training school, and as such will be shit - because they joined the war late and ignored all the advice the silly europeans gave them, so will probably be naff. Razz

"I look forward confidently to the exploits of our Fighter Pilots - these splendid men, this brilliant youth, who will have the glory of saving their native land, their island home, and all they love, from the most deadly of all attacks."

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy77 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:00 am

Have a look at these training clips from ROF. There are some very useful training aids in there...

ROF clips
speedy77

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MJDixon on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:10 am

Ive refined the SE5a spin recovery technique a bit for left hand spins - you stick the joystick into the top left and push full left rudder (i.e you push even further into the spin) then having held it like that for 2 - 3 seconds push full right rudder (whilst keeping the stick pointing top left) and hold full right rudder until you drop out of the spin.

Works for me 9 times out of 10 - but then I suppose it's the 10th time you've got to worry about. Razz

Haven't managed it in a right-hand spin either, so if you go into a spin make sure to spin to the left! Wink

- Winston Churchill
MJDixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top